What's new

Beyond calibration of your monitor?

LokiZ

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
354
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I read a post by Bitter and it kind of put some questions in my head...

I remember way back when your system was considered to be a balanced system when you scanner, printer, and monitor all matched each other.
I know Micrgrafx had a utility to join all of these together back then, bundled with picture publisher I think.

Today I see lots of posts talking about calibrated monitors. Is there any focus on making sure scanners and printers match those calibrated monitors now days in the professional world of digital imaging? If so are there software utilities that help tie all three together or are we all on our own when it comes to scanners and printers and the act of matching them to calibrated monitors?
 
Certainly - Spyder have their own separate printer calibrator and some other companies make screen/printer combo devices that calibrate both. I think the reason printers get left out is that fewer people print and when they do its cheaper to use an external pro lab to do the printing than it is to purchase the printer (and inks) and do it at home.
 
Thanks Overread. For my own personal use I still prefer printing my own especially when using Ilford paper. It would seem I have a new item to add to my Xmas list. LOL.
 
So wait... what exactly is best to use with calibration of your monitor? I want something cheap and does the job.
 
So wait... what exactly is best to use with calibration of your monitor? I want something cheap and does the job.

Any of the plenty of devices out there seem to do the job just fine.

I remember way back when your system was considered to be a balanced system when you scanner, printer, and monitor all matched each other.
I know Micrgrafx had a utility to join all of these together back then, bundled with picture publisher I think.

They still are, except the focus on this board is not one of self calibration, but rather calibration of devices that drift, and the output devices which you use to judge your picture. The rest is all handled by a common interconnecting bit of info called the ICC profile.

The theory is that the RAW converter provides colour profiles for my camera (I don't use a scanner).
I calibrate my monitor so I know what I am looking at is standard.
I send my pictures to a printing company that I know runs a tight calibrated shop and the end result is what I saw on my monitor is what I got on my print, which ultimately is all that mattered.

If I actually used my scanner, I may actually bother to scan in my colourchecker chart and create a profile for my scanner, but I don't so I didn't. If I actually used my printer for photographs or anything colour critical then I would probably buy something like X-Rite: Get exactly the color you need, every time, anywhere in the world. or something like Spyder3Studio SR - Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom