Big F*ing Hole

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got away for a little road trip Spring Break. I was driving south out of Cape Girardeau along the Mississippi bluffs and there was this big fence along the side of the road. If the foliage had been leafed out in the shrubs I wouldn't have seen this -- they've got it pretty well hidden which is amazing given how big it is. I was able to hold the camera above my head and just get it over the fence. On the river side of the road is a huge cement factory. Here's the satellite view: Google Maps

Joe

bighole.jpg

Thanks for sharing Joe. That's a big operation. We have a water filled abandoned quarry near where I live. Many kids have drowned from sneaking in to swim. The one near me has shear walls and the kids dive off the cliffs. Supposively it so deep there's a steam shovel submerged in the center and it's boom is no where near the surface.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Joe. That's a big operation. We have a water filled abandoned quarry near where I live. Many kids have drowned from sneaking in to swim. The one near me has shear walls and the kids dive off the cliffs. Supposively it so deep there's a steam shovel submerged in the center and it's boom is now where near the surface.

They make for great dive sites, and great places to learn to scuba dive. I gotta tell ya too, it's' very creepy to be 80 feet down, and see the top of a crane start looming in the distance. If you google inland diving USA, you will see that a lot of the sites are quarries.

Cool shot, Ysarex! Thanks for sharing! This is one by me, out in the Bull Run part of NOVA

4541354481_e8530852c3_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing Joe. That's a big operation. We have a water filled abandoned quarry near where I live. Many kids have drowned from sneaking in to swim. The one near me has shear walls and the kids dive off the cliffs. Supposively it so deep there's a steam shovel submerged in the center and it's boom is no where near the surface.

That's tragic, we have the same here -- abandoned limestone quarries and lead mines where the local kids manage to get in and drown.

Joe

The theory of the drowning is, the water is spring fed and ice cold. The kids get overheated climbing to the top and when they drive in, they cramp up. This has been going on before I was even born. The kids know the risk, but keep doing it. They're invincible, or at least they think they are.
When I was young, things were different and anyone could just walk back and roam around. There's one area where you can just walk up to the water. It's crystal clear. You look in about 6ft and it drops straight down 100 feet.

Most reactions

Back