bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The rule of thumb (according to a guide at Wakulla Springs, FL) to gauge the size of an Alligator is to measure (in inches) from the top middle of the eyes to the tip of the nose and multiply that number by 12 and then divide by 12 for the number of feet.

While I was able to get close to this big fella off a boardwalk perch, I wasn't close enough to put a tape measure to it (no that I would be that stupid even if I could). So, I measured one I could get close to that was about the same size as the one over his nose at, coincidentally 12 inches and used that for a guide.I estimate this one in at 15 feet....a real brute in Gator Land.

gator-1.jpg

gator-2.jpg

gator3.jpg

The rule of thumb (according to a guide at Wakulla Springs, FL) to gauge the size of an Alligator is to measure (in inches) from the top middle of the eyes to the tip of the nose and multiply that number by 12 and then divide by 12 for the number of feet.

While I was able to get close to this big fella off a boardwalk perch, I wasn't close enough to put a tape measure to it (no that I would be that stupid even if I could). So, I measured one I could get close to that was about the same size as the one over his nose at, coincidentally 12 inches and used that for a guide.I estimate this one in at 15 feet....a real brute in Gator Land.

View attachment 123709

View attachment 123710

View attachment 123711
Yikes. He looks hungry....

Lol, that guide must've been a UF grad. Nice shots, and I like the tension of the close crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back