Big Stopper Test Shot

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally got a chance to test the Big Stopper today during a hike. Results came out...ok. A couple artifacts near the top, I'm guessing where light was hitting the filter funky. Could clone them out, but it's just a test shot. Need to fine-tune my approach a bit, and having just received my GND filter, that will help future shots along quite a bit.

Looking forward to more experimenting! This exposure was 8 minutes I believe. Hope you enjoy it regardless, I don't think I've ever seen such green moss!

Big Stopper Test Shot: Berry Falls
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think I would have more love for this shot if I didn't have to scroll to see it all.

Finally got a chance to test the Big Stopper today during a hike. Results came out...ok. A couple artifacts near the top, I'm guessing where light was hitting the filter funky. Could clone them out, but it's just a test shot. Need to fine-tune my approach a bit, and having just received my GND filter, that will help future shots along quite a bit.

Looking forward to more experimenting! This exposure was 8 minutes I believe. Hope you enjoy it regardless, I don't think I've ever seen such green moss!

Big Stopper Test Shot: Berry Falls
by TogaLive, on Flickr
Wow, what a nice shot! I'm not familiar with the big stopper....did you really mean 8 minutes or 8 seconds?

Nice! Strange artifacts though... I'm assuming you had the viewfinder covered? Almost looks like swirls from cleaning it or something. Looks like a beautiful location though!

Jake

the problem with being able to do such long exposures in the middle of the day, is you typically still get that really harsh direct light and shadows.

Wondering what a couple pops of low-powered electronic flash might have done to the rocks and the old logs at the bottom of the falls. You mentioned the green colors: they are excessively green, very unnatural, but that seems to be a trend these days. I have some "Landscape" Lightroom presets, and they boost greens to a very unnatural degree, and I see it on 500px a lot--greens that are very much boosted, beyond any relationship to the natural world. I really love the drop path the water makes over the rocks--very beautiful the way it works its way down the face of the drop!

There's artifacts all the way down to about 3/4 from the top, concentric with a single spot. That's not light spilling in the vf.

There's artifacts all the way down to about 3/4 from the top, concentric with a single spot. That's not light spilling in the vf.

Yeah, you're right. Must be a harsh angle from the sun--I've never seen artifacts like this in my experience though...

Did you crop the image any in post?

Looks like a nice wall print :icon_thumbsup:
:icon_thumleft:
:icon_thumright:

I never thought of using a flash in Long Exposures to enhance certain areas. Great tip.
Did you do any PostProcessing to pull out shadows ?

I'm not sure why all of a sudden Flickr BBcode is making images so large, it used to resize them into scaled thumbnails. I'll start posting smaller codes to see if that helps, it's annoying to scroll.

Did you crop the image any in post?

Nope

Looks like a nice wall print :icon_thumbsup:
:icon_thumleft:
:icon_thumright:

I never thought of using a flash in Long Exposures to enhance certain areas. Great tip.
Did you do any PostProcessing to pull out shadows ?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm getting a ton of good info from the comments here, thanks everyone! I do need to cover the viewfinder, totally forgot that! Very little was done in terms of shadow pulling, only a tad on the right side.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden Flickr BBcode is making images so large, it used to resize them into scaled thumbnails. I'll start posting smaller codes to see if that helps, it's annoying to scroll.
The flickr BBcode you can specify the size that you want to insert - there are a few examples below, but they can be Large too
FlickrBBCode.jpg

another poster in some other thread commented on how long to expose. I'ts a personal choice. But also try a 3 second exposure as it shows some of the chaos detail of the water, versus a longer exposure. It's personal preference and dependent upon the situation. I'm still learning alot on long exposures, so I do a shorter exposure and longer exposures.

Most reactions

Back