Biggest eye openers?!

My biggest eye-opener was realising that you do not need sunshine for photography. I still love shooting in thick fog.

My biggest eye-opener was realising that you do not need sunshine for photography. I still love shooting in thick fog.

Do you have any advice for planning for, and shooting in fog? I never have my camera with me when it's foggy :(

I know I sound like a broken record here because I suggest it all the time, but one of the biggest eye openers for me was when I realized the correlation between the makeup technique "contouring and highlighting" and lighting for portraits. The makeup technique is used to sculpt and highlight certain facial features to make someone look their best, and applying the idea to the way I use light does the same thing, simultaneously reducing the amount of retouching needed in post, which to me is a huge deal because I hate spending too much time editing one photo.

The other major eye opener for me was discovering just how amazing and versatile the dodge and burn tool in photoshop is. If I could only use one editing function in photoshop and nothing else, it would that, and I would still be very happy about it. Hell, I'd still subscribe to CC if all it came with was a dodge and burn tool because of how incredible of a skin retouching and sculpting tool it is. I feel that every portrait photographer should learn how to effectively dodge and burn.

This was a big one for me too. You can use practically ANY light source and still get amazing results.

Flash. When I started, I had one of those obligatory black boxes of awful light. I never liked the results, but owned a flash because "you're supposed to." Finally, I got serious about flash (digital made that a whole lot easier). Ultimately, for me, it's the direction and quality of light that is most important. Once I started paying attention to that, my entire approach to capturing an image changed.

Do you have any advice for planning for, and shooting in fog? I never have my camera with me when it's foggy :(
I go for a walk every day, regardless of weather, and always take at the least my pocket Panasonic. That means I am out when it is foggy. It is worth mentioning that fog is very mobile and can get inside cameras so I keep mine under my coat when not actually shooting. My body heat dries out the camera before the damp penetrates too far.

Exploring HDR's was biggest eye opener for me.

Shooting: the dark is your friend. Night photography is very rewarding.

Processing: the raw camera filter in Photoshop is awesome.

Editing:
Using dodge and burn on channel masks and created channel masks one section of the image at at time.
Finally understanding the Photoshop Pen Tool and the Bezier control points

Lighting:
White Nylon and Speedlights make a far more portable and still usable light source than the full softbox/monolight kit.

Image Capture:
Unless you plan to do heavy retouching, grain/noise is acceptable in an image.

Being in front of a camera was a game changer for me.
I hate it so much that I told myself I would never subject someone to my experience, I would guide them step by step so they would know how to pose.

Being in front of a camera was a game changer for me.
I hate it so much that I told myself I would never subject someone to my experience, I would guide them step by step so they would know how to pose.

And yes I chose a great photographer, well her reputation was good, the best back then...
700$ for 1hrs and 4 edited photos...
It was ****!

Most reactions

Back