Birdie

SleepingWolf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_6813.jpg

beautiful, i just wish the eyes were a bit more in focus.

somthing to remember, 2/3's of the area of aceptable focus is in front of what you focus on, and a 1/3 is behind.

what lens are you using here? talk about a creamy bokeh.

are you a professional? is your nature work for fun or a stock library, or is it comissioned work?

another beauty

newrmdmike said:
beautiful, i just wish the eyes were a bit more in focus.
Hi Mike - You're right, the photo would have been better with the focus on the eyes, not the beak, and with just enough more dof to include both beak and eyes....

the problem though, is timing....you can prefocus all you want but you rarely have time shooting wildlife...lots is hit or miss....

I almost deleted this photo..but the more i looked at it, the more i thought it did work....even though in any portrait, animal or human, the eyes should be the point of focus

i use a zoom - quite often i'll shoot at 300mm to get close enough...i don't carry a tripod because they are cumbersome, i don't bump up the ISO because it creates noise, i don't wear gloves when it is freezing outside because i need to feel my controls, and i often shoot manual focus for better control - all this means there is lots of room for error....the complete opposite of shooting beautiful models in a studio where there is almost no room for error.

:)

thanks for the comments - you know your stuff and they are a good way for me to rethink some things I know I should do but I don't do...this photo is a good example where the focus must have been set to closest subject when I should have shot with manual focus...although, again, i might not have had time to focus manually.

My immediate thought was "Oh, the eyes...!" but I think that this photo works despite the fact that the eyes kind of slipped out of focus and it now is the beak that is in focus. This very fact does not make it a total blooper! Oh no! It does not! The detail of the feathers in the area where there actually IS the focus is brilliant!

This is a brilliant shot.....
The detail you have brought out in the feathers is spot on, and in my opinion focusing on the beak gives emphasis to the business end of Raptors.
I think having the eyes in focus in every shot is alright for portraits but doesn't really tell a story...
IMO this is a keeper :thumbup:

Love it. I have really been admiring your work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back