Black and White C&C

FireRescueFL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to try out the high contrast black and white technique outlined in the "Photoshop CS5 for Digital Photographers" book and this is what I came up with for my first couple of tries. The pictures were taken as just candid shots of my daughter so I know there are compositional issues in both but I'm really looking for C&C on the black and white conversion. I like them but wonder if maybe they seem a little over-processed. Any thoughts?

---Chris

The second one is not a very good photo so I won' comment on that, but the first one looks excellent. The lighting is nice and IMO the B&W conversion is flawless.

#1, what are you using as a light source that is in her eye like that?
I like the image itself and don't even mind the higher key to the left (of image), but "in my opinion" that eye reflection is not acceptable - soften that light.
Ok and that light by her head too, but that is an easy fix in PS

#2 no comment

Joey_Ricard said:
#1, what are you using as a light source that is in her eye like that?
I like the image itself and don't even mind the higher key to the left (of image), but "in my opinion" that eye reflection is not acceptable - soften that light.
Ok and that light by her head too, but that is an easy fix in PS

#2 no comment

The light is all natural from a sliding glass door. The shadow side of her face was lightened slightly in photoshop.

I'll also post the color versions later tonight when I get home.

---Chris

Oh yeah, the light near the top of her head is from a Christmas tree behind her. I agree, it should go.

---Chris

Chris, nice use of natural light
Since a person can only reflect "detail" in the eyes, as opposed to just light on the skin - if your camera has live view, you should be able to see this when you are shooting. If not, then immediately review the image after your initial test shot to see what is happening with the eyes. You'd check it for focus, so do the same for reflected details.

In this case, if you could - get some (words escaping me here), that large tissue paper stuff that is semi transparent and place between the light source and the subject. I have a roll that I use, even with my flashes and umbrellas at times. It really helps to diffuse the light and and light source detail.

Just a suggestion

Tough crowd. I dig both photos and really like the second one.

She is adorable! I like the first but I would clone out that light on the left by her head.

There is something interesting with the second one. For me, I think it's the different levels of light and shadows. And, I want to know what she's reaching for. Maybe I just like it because I have a daughter about the same age.

OK, here's the color versions (more or less). The first one is a crop of a larger version and I didn't save a color version of the crop so it's slightly different than the B&W. I also got rid of that evil light next to her head while I had PS open.

---Chris

There is something interesting with the second one. For me, I think it's the different levels of light and shadows. And, I want to know what she's reaching for. Maybe I just like it because I have a daughter about the same age.

Thanks for the comments. I really like the second one, too, but I knew it was going to get mixed responses due to the fact that it's not a very sharp shot and has a lot of distraction in the background. I was actually just experimenting since I thought I was having back focusing issues but the problem was just me (as usual!) but I liked the feel of the photo so decided to put a little work into it.

The light is just from 4 tungsten lights from a ceiling fan. The fan was running and the pull cords where moving around so my daughter was trying to grab them.

---Chris

I like the 2nd one, but it would have better in portrait mode. Good job on the blk wht conversion!

Joey_Ricard said:
He asked for C&C, not a pat on the back only

Wait! You mean not everyone here is going to tell me I should quit my day job and go pro NOW!? What kind of forum is this, anyway??? LOL

Seriously though, I'm like everyone else and enjoy someone telling me they like my work, but I really do only get better when I get beat up a little!

---Chris

Most reactions

Back