Black Bear

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Little story!
While doing a road trip in USA and Canada, we were hoping to see a bear, any kind of a bear!
In the whole USA we didn't see anything, even in Yellowstone we saw a red fox, while people told us there is less chance to see that one then a bear...
After more then 3 months on the road we arrived in Banff and Jasper National Park. And bamn! a black bear! The extra funny thing about this story is that, the next day, less then 24 hours later, a big Grizzly bear was crossing the road ! So wow, Thank you Canada for your bears ! :)
The photo I post now is the black bear, I didn't get so good shots of the Grizzly, But I might upload a picture of it in the future.

Black Bear by Timothy D'hondt

We spend a lot of time in the Smoky Mtns, of Tennessee never fail to encounter black bears. Can be unnerving if you're hiking. The population has grown and migrated to the point that over the last few years we now see them around our home in North Alabama.

We spend a lot of time in the Smoky Mtns, of Tennessee never fail to encounter black bears. Can be unnerving if you're hiking. The population has grown and migrated to the point that over the last few years we now see them around our home in North Alabama.

Bears in Alabama? I didn't know they go that far. Well I'm not from the USA. But I'll keep it in mind for next time! That will be for our next road trip then.

Sad followup on the picture. We also encountered some single babies all alone. This was a year when the drought severely limited the food supply for them. When the food gets tight the Mama will abandon the little males leaving them to fend for themselves. The park rangers let mother nature take it's course, they either survive on their own, or they don't. Sadly some didn't

Thanks for the input, I will make sure to go to the Smokey Mountains one day !

@smoke665 : Nature can be cruel, But it is indeed the best thing to let nature go its course.

If you go to Lake Clark National Park in Alaska, you can get up close and personal with Grizzlies. They are wild, but they tend to ignore people and will often come within 5 to 10 metres of you (15 to 30 feet).

33213151772_cfe4eeaf4d_c.jpg

WesternGuy

Very nice.
As for 30 feet from a Grizzly :aiwebs_016: they must be nicer in Alaska. If the ones on the BC coast get that close, just use the gun on yourself.

Last edited:
within 5 to 10 metres

Considering they can supposedly cover 50 yds in 3 seconds, I think I'd back off a mile or so
I was there for 4 days; we had a guide every day and never had any problems. We watched two males, a female with two cubs and a lone female at various times. Two rules: - don't look them straight in the eye and don't make any sudden moves. Oh yah - and don't bother the cubs, although we got to within 5 metres of the cubs one day when they were playing and everything was okay. They do not see "us" (people) as a threat and they haven't learned that we would make a nice meal. The lodge was very good about keeping them away from the buildings.

WesternGuy

Very nice.
As for 30 feet from a Grizzly :aiwebs_016: they must be nicer in Alaska. If the ones on the BC coast get that close, just use the gun on yourself.
Yes, a little more tolerant of people. I do know what you mean though. Being from Alberta and having tramped all over the Rockies and the Yukon in my misspent youth, I have had a few close encounters of the Grizzly kind. Scary to say the least, but the one really close encounter I did have, we made a lot of noise and they ran from us. Still means that I have a lot of respect for bears, black, brown or white and recognize the danger they can present if not treated as the potentially dangerous animals that they are.

Timppa, you are welcome for the bears - glad you got to see them. If you ever get to the northern, coastal areas of BC, they have white black bears there. They are referred to as "Spirit Bears" or Kermode bears - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear

WesternGuy

Last edited:
I'm saving this thread for future references :D Good traveltips!

Timppa, you are welcome for the bears - glad you got to see them. If you ever get to the northern, coastal areas of BC, they have white black bears there. They are referred to as "Spirit Bears" or Kermode bears - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear
WesternGuy

I have absolutely never heard about this before. I put it on my photography bucket list :eek:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back