Black Friday!

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone hear of Black Friday Rumors? Hoping to get a Refurbished D810 for a steal!

A few years ago, I held off making a couple of camera and/or lens purchases hoping for a good deal on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Unfortunately, what I discovered was that the 'deals' were mostly for entry level gear rather than then higher end items I was looking for. I will say that I DID buy my Canon 60D on a Black Friday deal from a not-top-quality online photo equipment dealer. First, I had to fend off a phone call from them trying to upsell me to extra batteries and a variety of cheap junk filters, etc. I suspect that if I had not answered their call, they'd never ship the camera. It STILL took them 3 weeks to SHIP from NYC! I was starting to get nervous.

SO, if you're looking for a deal on a refurb body, or lens, or whatever, log on to the REPUTABLE dealers web sites (B&H is my favorite...they are flawless in my experience! (I am a satisfied repeat customer, not a shill)), and sign up for their email newsletters. B&H newsletters show both new merchandise as well as big sales on slightly older items that may be upgraded/replaced with newer versions in the near future. They have a used equipment area as do other reputable vendors such as Adorama and KEH. Keep an eye out on the Nikon site for their refurb items, too. I recommend looking DAILY at that site as the sales can come and go in a flash...just like they do at Canon for stuff I'm dreaming of.

Agree with most of the above re Black Friday for high end gear. Especially for refurbs as those won't exactly be an inventory that they can fully control. I've found re BF deals, if you're not after that $100 75" flat screen or other "in store only doorbusters", you can usually get just as good if not better deals online the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Many of the specials go live online before midnight. I've had luck with software sales on BF. 4 years ago I got the entire suite of Topaz Lab plug ins for less than half price.

I've found that all BF sales for photography is for vendors that are trying to sell New old-stock. I wouldn't be surprised if we see D7100 deals.

I bought a BF TV once. It was a vizio that was actually manufactured explicitly for BF; it was dummied down to be as cheap as possible, where the non-BF version of the same TV had much more settings and inputs/outputs.

Most reactions

Back