Black head Gulls

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out the other day to practice getting some BIF shots. Ended up up with one 'usable' shot. Still lots to learn. I guess I need to get out more and just practice, practice practice...

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad. For BIFs, I often try to get them coming at me, or just as they are even with me. There is a lot of "stuff" on the web if you google "birds in flight".

The second one is a nice group shot. For the third one, I don't know that I would have cropped it so closely, but that is just me and my preferences - if you like it, that is all that counts.

In case you are interested, I believe these are Bonaparte Gulls.

WesternGuy

Not bad. For BIFs, I often try to get them coming at me, or just as they are even with me. There is a lot of "stuff" on the web if you google "birds in flight".

The second one is a nice group shot. For the third one, I don't know that I would have cropped it so closely, but that is just me and my preferences - if you like it, that is all that counts.

In case you are interested, I believe these are Bonaparte Gulls.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the tip WG. I also thought these were Bonaparte gulls at 1st but they have red bills and feet so I think they are Black headed gulls. At least the book I use said so (taking into account its from 1976 and German).

edited ....... In case you are interested, I believe these are Bonaparte Gulls.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the tip WG. I also thought these were Bonaparte gulls at 1st but they have red bills and feet so I think they are Black headed gulls. At least the book I use said so (taking into account its from 1976 and German).

After doing some re-checking, I would concur about these being Black-headed gulls. I had never heard of them in North America, but I guess they have a rare, but regular presence in eastern North America (long way from my place in the shadow of the Rockies), even though they are mainly an Old World bird. Good ID. I learn something new every day. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back