black & white digital users -who's used infrared filters

That is very interesting. I didnt know you could get good IR shots on digitals. I would like to hear more about this.

A lot of digitals are sensitive to the infrared. All you need is a filter to keep the visible light from the sensor and it will act like the film. Some cameras are better than others, so it would be good to check the specs.

I haven't bought a filter yet myself, as they are fairly pricey, but it's definitely something I'd like to give a try.

If you want to try an experiment, take some exposed film (header or trailer) that has been developed and put that over the lens. Roll film is great for this. You might have to double up the layers to get a full effect. It acts as a fairly decent IR filter, though not a very optically perfect one.

Here's a couple I did using a cheap Intel p&s digital and two layers of film trailer.

infrared1.jpg

infrared2.jpg

They needed a fair amount of tweaking with the curves tool to get the contrast back, but that's all I did. The light leaves and dark sky are coming completely from the IR exposure, not any Photoshopping.

I can't say much for the composition, but it was just an experiment (out my window) to see if it would work. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back