Black Widow - Oooo Boogie Woogie

I love the off camera strobe in number 1. Very interesting shadows. I can't wait to get mine next week!

We dont have many freakishly poisonous bugs here. Much to cold in the winter. Closest poisonous creepy crawlers are the rattlers about 45 min south. And no freaking way I am every going to shoot them with a camera. I have looked at that Tamron and I think will be whatever better deal I can get. I have about a 800$ budget but I want a SB-600, a macro lens that would dble for portraits and a CPF. Only thing that I wonder is would I be better with the Nikon for resale if I get bored of the lens.

Buy used and you get rid of the resale drop and you can afford more. I saw a Sigma 150mm f2.8 for sale on another forum not long ago for something like $525....Great deal and would be cheap enough to allow you to grab an SB-600 as well.....of course, I've seen some incredible shots with the T90 as well, so either way you'd be set for sharp images. I'd just keep your eyes open on the used market for awhile unless you're in a big hurry.

...even without venemous (not poisonous...just fyi) bugs, the longer length makes it easier to keep from scaring them away. Very helpful when shooting skittish bugs in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip Nate. I have been sort of keeping my eye on used. Havent found exactly what Im looking for yet if you see it in your travels let me know please. Im not looking to buy until end of July. Tax rebate and all lol. Im new to photography so I still havent found great used sources other than ebay and a couple forums I frequent. Closer to the date I will post a WTB.

She's awesome, but you're far braver than I am on that score. I'd have taken her in a tank maybe, but out in the wild, getting THAT close, no f-way!

Wonderful as always!
As for exposure, do you use bare flash, or use a diffuser on the flash? I, too, have gotten addicted to macro since picking up my 105 2.8 and will be getting an SB-600 soon. Wondering how others as good as yourself are doing things with external flash + macro.

Thanks,
Mark

Wonderful as always!
As for exposure, do you use bare flash, or use a diffuser on the flash? I, too, have gotten addicted to macro since picking up my 105 2.8 and will be getting an SB-600 soon. Wondering how others as good as yourself are doing things with external flash + macro.

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you Mark. On mine, I use a lumiquest mini-softbox...however being as my lens is longer, this makes my flash not as close to the subject...which makes my light source smaller in comparison to the subject than if it was closer (i.e. using a Tamron 90mm). For this reason, I wish I had gotten the Lumiquest LQ-107 softbox instead (2 inches bigger each direction). I will probably eventually get the LQ-107 but for now I'm making do with the mini. I'd recommend LQ107 for 150mm and beyond and mini-softbox in the 105 range and below.

Thanks for the response!
If the problem with the flash is that its on-camer and too far away, why not take it off camera and move it closer?

Mark

Thanks for the response!
If the problem with the flash is that its on-camer and too far away, why not take it off camera and move it closer?

Mark

It's on a bracket mounted to the tripod collar of the lens...tilted toward the subject. The end of my mini-softbox is already about 2-4" past the end of my lens the way it's mounted. If I move it any closer then I lose all of the advantage I get of having a longer (180mm) lens. My only other option is to get a larger softbox.

...this setup is the way that I manage to get my shots to have side/angled lighting while still having the whole setup being handheld. I could use my 33" umbrella like I used to and fire with CLS...this give much softer light, but is nowhere near as portable to be hauling a lightstand around my yard.

Great job ! Got to love macro who in there right mind would ever think about getting that close to one of those other than macro nuts!

Add Missouri to my places to stay away from. Thanks for the nightmares. I hate spiders.

Nice shots.

/shudder

Most reactions

New Topics

Back