Black'n'White??

sarah_19_nz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I struggle to make black and white images look "Awesome" ... critique please? Is this a pleasing conversion? If not tips are much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

$lucylovely.jpg$lovelylucy4.jpg

^^^^^ you are absolutely right, I just tried that and it looks better. :)

How are you making your B&W conversions? There are multiple methods, in different softwares, and not all are equal.

How are you making your B&W conversions? There are multiple methods, in different softwares, and not all are equal.

To be completely honest this particular set used an "action" in photoshop :oops: which I tweaked quite a bit. I'll have to look to see what method it used BUT Ive been using Lightroom and adjusting contrast and luminance, Tone curves and playing with the channels.

Sooo photoshop and Lightroom. If anyone has a link to some awesome tutorials that would be great, or just more advice on how to master the black and white edit. :)

Nice catch lights of her beautiful eyes. She is a real cutie.

To be completely honest this particular set used an "action" in photoshop :oops: which I tweaked quite a bit. I'll have to look to see what method it used BUT Ive been using Lightroom and adjusting contrast and luminance, Tone curves and playing with the channels.

Sooo photoshop and Lightroom. If anyone has a link to some awesome tutorials that would be great, or just more advice on how to master the black and white edit. :)

I like the Gradient Map B&W method in PS. Works well for me. Image>Adjust>Gradient Map...pick the black one, then tweak it, often using the curves tool.

In Lightroom, I often apply a COLOR action, like say Matt K's Lightroom Killer Tips action "Ultimate Fighter", then convert to B&W and adjust that result, as needed. The colored filters, like green, red, yellow, and orange in Lightroom can be VERY helpful too, to help set the proper tonal values for objects and skin. Ultimate Fighter>B&W>Green Filter for example, can work pretty well if a person has say a flannel shirt or hoodie with a lot of green in it, and you want the greens to be rendered light enough to look like, well, green, not red.

O.K so I have been going through all the links you guys have posted today and learning about converting to b'n'w all weekend. I came accross a link to this software "silver efex pro" and had a play around with the "trial version" It is great!... here is another attempt I made on my daughters images... Tell me what you think? I am a fan of contrasty, black and white images rather than the muddy, grey look... anyway tell me what you think good and bad! :) Cheers!

$lovelylucyblackandwhitefb.jpg

I'm very tempted to buy it :)

Most reactions

Back