Blackpool beach

kinau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple from a beach in Blackpool. Did some post processing (first time using Photoshop).

(1)

dsc0524ersbv7.jpg

(2)

dsc0520ersbb3.jpg

Looking for comments/criticism on anything, and especially on the composition :)

Thanks,
Kin

No one?

I have the EXIF data, if that helps:

1:
Focal Length: 18mm
F-Number: F/4
Exposure Time: 1/60 sec.
ISO Speed: ISO-200
Metering Mode: Pattern
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 step

2:
Focal Length: 75mm
F-Number: F/5.3
Exposure Time: 1/50 sec.
ISO Speed: ISO-200
Metering Mode: Pattern
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 step

I realise I used a large aperture, but I had no choice, as I forgot my tripod...

Kin

They're both nice compositions and show the potential of the location. But for me they lack atmosphere due to the bright skies. A graduated filter would help a lot here. Without a filter something else to try would be meter off the sky (spot or centre weighted would work as you have sky in the middle of the frames) and then underexpose -0.7 or -1.0. This would leave the f/g too dark but you could recover this in photoshop, especially if you shoot raw.

Mike

I used a Polarizing filter for the first shot, although I'm not sure if I did for the second one.

For the first picture, I think I agree with you about the bright sky. I'll try to Photoshop it later to see what I can change...
For (2), the original shot was darker, but after messing around in Photoshop, I prefer the lighter edit.

And maybe I'll start shooting in RAW instead of jpeg (I'm quite new to post-processing, and photography in general, therefore never saw the point in using RAW)

Thanks,
Kin

Re-edited version of (1):

dsc0524e4rsfr7.jpg

I think its an improvement, but I still don't like it that much... any ideas?

No more criticism for (2)...?

Kin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back