BLM protest (pic heavy)

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so to start, I have never done this type of shooting before. Never shot people at all, let alone in a chaotic setting. It was interesting tho and rather fun!
I was at work and found out they were having this protest in downtown Phoenix in about 2 hours. I wasnt planning on going for any reason at all but for some reason I said , Aww WTH!
I packed up 2 riggs one with a 10-22 wide angle and one with my 70-200. I only used my 70-200 2.8.
I never got the final number but I would guess around 700 - 1000 people showed.
One of the neatest things I have done yet with photography, to date, Was walking backwards in front of an "angry mob" with 5-6 news channels and another 20 photographers or so. Bumpin shoulders with the major networks like, CNN, NBC, FOX, etc..That was very cool and a little nerve racking, tho I had to flirt with the NBC girl .. Meow ;)
So I will start.
CC welcome and Im sure a lot could have been done. Like I mentioned I have never done this before and was on 1 rig.
It started at 8pm and I left at 10:30pm. All at night time using 6400 ISO (crop) so I know its lower quality. I never opened up to 2.8 (my mistake) and shot at 3.5 Hand held around 1/20th to 1/60th most of the time at 150-200mm.
Atleast I hope you enjoy it!

This was the leader at the time. He would stop the mob now and then for some pep talking.
1QS9A3808 by Stormchase73,

They were able to grab the attention of everyone. well except the guy on the left haha.
1QS9A3975 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

At first the Love and pride was strong.
1QS9A3881 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

Some were burning candles in honor of ones lost.
1QS9A3925 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

There were people flying the American flag high and proud and some were stomping on it and dragging it on the ground. I had much mixed emotions about this!
1QS9A4009 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

As the march came to an end, The police were ready for the worst. So much Disrespect began to surface. Really I don't know how the officers kept their cool. Practically being pushed off of their bikes at this point.
Here are a couple punks disrespecting a police officers with their middle fingers up as their friend takes pictures for Facebook im sure. I guess its a little bit of a purge for some.
1QS9A4119 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

So at the end of the street, Blocking anyone from getting on the freeway, were many many police in riot gear. People got upset. of their presence. Of coarse ... I had to get up close and personal! Yup .. that was a mistake!
1QS9A4192 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

You could feel tension building minute by minute! There was a small group there just to cause trouble.

1QS9A4208 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

1QS9A4177 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

Before I knew it tear gas and pepper spray were thick in the air. It put me out of commission for a few min being up front even tho some of the best pictures were happening in front of me. I couldn't breath. After I felt better I got some aftermath.

everyone got blasted
1QS9A4151 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

1QS9A4178 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

Some were prepared with a milk station for the pepper spray. Not something you see everyday haha.
1QS9A4195 by Stormchase73, on Flickr

There was a bit of good and a bit of bad. All in all it was an interesting experience. and would do it again in a heartbeat... not sure why haha.

Nice work man. Really nice!

Probably pokemon in #2 lol

Great shots, lots of emotion! So much chaos and anger in our country these days. I hope we can find a way through it. If/when that happens, pictures like these will be important to show future generations what we as a nation can overcome.

Thanks, It was real fun to be in the heat of things.
Ha yeah the pokemon thing. Haven't tried it yet. Just what I hear about it seems to be entertainment enough haha. Ill choose Geo-Caching myself. Im old school nerd like that!

Its at its strongest point so far tho. I have my own theory on why things like this happen and it may get taken to a whole new level but I really hope not. That is a post of its own, probably on a different forum, but It was interesting how the night progressed, from a outsiders point of view, to be divided withing the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
You captured some nice shots. When doing photojournalism it's all about capturing the moment and telling the story, not about noisy shots and poor lighting or out of focus parts. Those things have to do with studio and setup shots where the photographer has some control or at least time to make adjustments.
Photojournalism is a whole different ballgame and to me it's the fun part! Be careful you can get hooked on it and never shoot Bowser playing with a ball again.
The old days of sitting around the city desk and hearing the police radio squawk about a robbery in progress and grabbing the old Nikon F and racing down the stairs to the car are gone but you can still find stuff like the march to cover.

It would be nice to do more things like this but i don't really have the time. I could see getting hooked on it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back