Blog or website

I took a look at his website and even that isn't JUST a blog. Over to the side he has different pages such as a contact page, testimonials, and services he provides. He also has galleries to show off his work. His website isn't just a blog, it would be known more as a blogsite where the blog is the main page or focus, but it's still a website with a blog. It's the same sort of thing I have, but it's not a blog only.

I am going to stay with my website and add a blog at some stage. He made me really doubt my decicion. Thanks for your opinion.

I have a website and a blog, of course I'm not trying to sell a product.
I think a blog only looks low rent.
My impression of his advice is that her is trying to justify his own decision.

(I think it's SEO (search engine optimization) rather than ceo)

If you're wanting to simplify things, creating an all-in-one blog/site is a piece of cake if you self host a WordPress based site, or get with a host that supports or pre-installs WordPress for you. WP is structured to be very SEO friendly, and makes it easy to tag and keyword as you see fit.

There are thousands of pre-made theme options, with almost endless customization available. I'm working with a web designer right now on a refresh of my site using WP.

People who have "a blog as part of their website" generally fail to maintain the blog in any sort of up to date fashion, so it turns in to something with a post about "welcome to my new web site!" dated 4 years ago, a "how do you like the redesign?" post dated 3 years ago, and two more recent posts promising to update the blog more often, the last one dated last year some time.

Don't bother with a blog unless you have something to say.

Perusing the web I'd say wedding photographers are the best at updating their blogs.

Well I would update with every session. Atm I do 2 sessions a week, so that would mean 2 blogs posting a sneak peek of the sessions.

Tamgerine said:
I took a look at his website and even that isn't JUST a blog. Over to the side he has different pages such as a contact page, testimonials, and services he provides. He also has galleries to show off his work. His website isn't just a blog, it would be known more as a blogsite where the blog is the main page or focus, but it's still a website with a blog. It's the same sort of thing I have, but it's not a blog only.

Well maybe I worded it wrong. In the end you can add to your blog whatever you want. His website is a wordpress blog with a prophoto template.

Aloicious said:
website > blog in every aspect if it's a business...blogs scream unprofessional to me as a place of business...if I'm looking for a product or service, and my choice is between someone who runs a blog only, or someone who has a business website....all else being equal, I'll be going with the website every time.

to me a blog is a place to keep just a log of quick thoughts and ideas you want to share (IMO facebook is just a collection of people's blogs in one spot)....things like 'I ate a steak the size of a toilet seat' belong on a blog, things like products and services NEED a website. even if a blog is well put together, and professionally presented, the overall blog format isn't a productive format to conduct business in...

however, supplementing a website with a blog would be good thing for a business to maintain customer interest, loyalty, word of mouth, etc...your website should show off your product (in the case of photography, your portfolio), costs, who you are, provide information on doing business, and how people can contact you, and the other aspects of your business....the blog should have your personal thoughts on a shoot, new equipment, or anything personal that doesn't specifically affect how the business is operated...

take your friend's blog, its well put together, the images are good, but if I'm a client trying to find a photographer, his site just looks like a personal blog if the time isn't taken to examine everything he writes, he has no obvious link to pricing structures, no straight forward portfolio (his link says 'lifestyle portraits', what is that? is that his portfolio or is it just a title for a blog post about how he likes to take portraits of people's lifestyle and share them, etc)...you have to comb through the page text to find the vital information that should be front and center....etc....just little things like that.

a business should have a site that undoubtedly conveys a professional and succinct atmosphere. a blog doesn't do any of that as a primary page to bring in clients.

thats my thoughts at least...

as far as SEO, there's MUCH more to it than having a blog, if you put the work into optimizing a website, it can be much more SEO friendly than a blog. but the tiny SEO difference between a blog and website (properly done) isn't anything to worry about. go after advertizing, get people searching specifically for YOU, not worrying about if people can haphazardly find your site in random internet searches.

hope that helps, best of luck! you should post a link of your site when you get it built so we can see how it came out. (plus that'll help with your SEO)

Hey, thanks for post!

My website is live now!

www.janine-harris-photography.com

Well I would update with every session. Atm I do 2 sessions a week, so that would mean 2 blogs posting a sneak peek of the sessions.
You can use a blog like that, but that is not what a blog is best used for.

A blog is for promoting and marketing you. And by you I mean you are the thing you most need to promote and market if you want to do retail photography.
Each issue of Photoshop User magazine (NAPP) has a column dedicated to small business and freelance advice. Photoshop User | Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP

Aloicious said:
I like that, looks real nice, clean and professional. I don't have to scroll (at least on my screen). I also like that it's responsive to a few different viewport sizes, great job.

Thank you!! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back