blond bunch grass and quaking aspen grove

David_Senesac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidsenesac.com
$12-I3-4.jpg

Exposed this 4x5 sheet of Provia 100F film about 10:30am PDT through my 150mm Nikor lens on October 6, 2012 in the East Walker drainage above Bridgeport, California. When framing quaking aspen groves, a more usual strategy is to find an isolated colorful aspen tree away from a main grove to use for a foreground with an expanse of a grove in the background. However here I could not find anything suitable. Moving closer to the edge of the grove, blocked areas behind.

Instead I looked for a good foreground showcasing the beautiful tall blond straw hued Sierra Nevada bunch grasses. However because it is a light color, it does not stand out well. So found this area where it mixed in nicely checkerboard like with cyan hued sagebrush. Additionally in the middle ground is a swath of dried golden hued dense wet meadow grass that during summer are bright green from seeps which rise in that area. Although this was a record droughty year, in the background areas of the aspen grove that are still green indicate where a small permanent stream flows down as such trees are always last to change color. Orange areas contain trees that were probably yellow a week before and are likely to loose leaves with the next breezy day.

Three other aspen images from that road trip are at the bottom of my Gallery_B subpage at this link:

David Senesac Gallery B

Most reactions

New Topics

Back