Blue Heron in Flight

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been a slow learner with this lens! I know I don't have the best gear for wildlife, but I want to get the best out of my gear. When I reach the point where the gear is the limitation, not the shooter, I will be happy. Getting closer!

Nikon D5100 w 70-300 4.5-5.6 G ED. Shutter priority mode with EC +1.7

300mm ISO640 f/5.6 1/1600
BIF Heron-1.jpg

300mm ISO640 f/5.6 1/1600
BIF Heron-1-2.jpg

300mm ISO640 f/6.3 1/1600
BIF Heron-1-3.jpg

Good captures. Like the first one with mountains in the background. Last one is nice too but crop out most of the bottom, a lot of empty space that doesn't add to the image.

Thanks Brent I really appreciate your help. I finally have some images with better exposure and focus.

lol that little tiny lump of hill at the bottom of 3 doesn't add much eh?

I Agree on the background. I have some others with nice background, but the focus wasn't quite as nailed.

Thank you, zombie. I'm certainly a fan of yours and JR's work.

I also like #3.

One more. Thanks again for looking.
BIF Heron-1-5.jpg

Nice shots zulu42, I like this last one.

Nice set. Out of the set I like one. The color of the bird on three is great and I agree on the crop.

Thanks very much, everyone!

Is that some sensor contamination on number two?

While I do have some sensor spots, I can't find them here. I think you may be seeing the 5 OOF geese in flight in the lower right side of the frame.

Thanks very much!

Do your best to keep the bird in the context of its surroundings and you'll get much better shots. I just posted one today (Low, Slow Flyer) that puts the Egret squarely in his home area and lends more credence to the overall context.

Most reactions

Back