Blue ink in dark shadows

johnnywyoming

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using the NIK collection along with Photoshop for a number of years. I print on an Epson 3880 which has four black ink cartridges. Recently I have been doing more B&W and although an image looks great on my monitor, when printed it is printing blue in the deep shadows. There is clipping in those same areas as well. I have searched the web looking for information on this problem and what I find is discussion on blue, purple, magenta, or green casts. The term casts implies to me that people are talking about color casts on the image overall and not just specific to the shadows.

My monitor is calibrated with X-rite iOne and color prints print fine. I use color management. I have printed on Epson Exibition Fiber paper and an HP Advanced Pro glossy that I have an Epson profile for. In my recent B&Ws I have been shooting HDRs, processing them through ACR, NIK HDR Efex and then NIK Silver Efex and Photoshop (CS4). I have not saved it as a grayscale but wouldn't NIK Silver Efex strip the color out of the image? Any ideas if the blue is due to the shadows being clipped or....??

I think you should have to try once with another latest printer may be you will get this

I have been using the NIK collection along with Photoshop for a number of years. I print on an Epson 3880 which has four black ink cartridges. Recently I have been doing more B&W and although an image looks great on my monitor, when printed it is printing blue in the deep shadows. There is clipping in those same areas as well. I have searched the web looking for information on this problem and what I find is discussion on blue, purple, magenta, or green casts. The term casts implies to me that people are talking about color casts on the image overall and not just specific to the shadows.

My monitor is calibrated with X-rite iOne and color prints print fine. I use color management. I have printed on Epson Exibition Fiber paper and an HP Advanced Pro glossy that I have an Epson profile for. In my recent B&Ws I have been shooting HDRs, processing them through ACR, NIK HDR Efex and then NIK Silver Efex and Photoshop (CS4). I have not saved it as a grayscale but wouldn't NIK Silver Efex strip the color out of the image? Any ideas if the blue is due to the shadows being clipped or....??

Easy enough for you to convert the image to grayscale before printing and do a comparison. NIK may desaturate the image but nonetheless leave the file structure RGB. If the image is RGB then the Epson printer is going to use all of its inks. Since you have a printer with multiple black inks designed specifically to be able to print B&W why not use it.

Joe

I have tried the numerous ways to get rid of the cors including setting it to grayscale

After trying all of the numerous ways to change a color image to black and white as suggested here and other places it turns out that I missed the fact that the light black test patch was missing from the nozzle test. Clogged print head was the problem... prints great now :)

Most reactions

Back