Blue silky water.

KuntaKinter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this one a few years back. By the time I left I had to use my AF illuminator to see where I was going, since I didn't have a flashlight with me.

20tqmue.jpg

Thoughts?

Your focusing is pretty good considering you couldnt see anything. I did an Auto Color click in Photoshop and this is the results. I prefer the bit of color in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the first version. I like the blue. It is moodier.

I also like how the water is so blurry that it has become abstract.

I would have love to have had a branch out of focus in the foreground to give a sense of drama.

Random question, what photo blogs do you follow on tumblr?

Out of the two images, I really like Bynx's, as the color is just more realistic and pleasing to me.

First off I don't say this because I am upset/ angry or anything along those lines. But I have my settings to my photos are not okay to edit. Again not upset just wanted stated for the future. And I do appreciate the help and critiques. I am always striving to better my photography. So please Bynx don't take offense to my statement. Unless of course posting photos in this section negates that setting. And in that case I apologize for my statement and I will go read the posting rules.
Second. I am actually not really a fan of the second edit. For me it ruins the mood of the photo. It takes my eye off the water and puts it on the ground on the left and the tree branch in the foreground instead. I do like that it is brighter. That is one thing I think my edit does need. Not as bright. The edit does also once you start to follow the water, does help lead the eye further back up the stream.
All of this being said, either one is an amazing photograph. :) And of course preference for style is subjective. And as most if not all of us I have a biased towards what I have done. But again thank you for the suggestions I am greatful and any more that would like to comment or give suggestions please feel free. As I stated I am always trying to improve.

I took this one a few years back. By the time I left I had to use my AF illuminator to see where I was going, since I didn't have a flashlight with me.

20tqmue.jpg

Thoughts?

Interesting photo......... What time of night do you shoot this one??

I started taking the shots right before sunset and finished up after the sun had set and it was dark. I don't recall when this one was taken in that series.

I hate going from screen to screen and device to device. My edit looks so much darker on my Iphone then it does here. As well as on my Macbook screen as opposed to my editing screen. Why can't everyone calibrate off of me? :)

Yes a slow shutter speed is how I was able to get the silky water. It was at 30 second shutter speed, aperture of 5.6 and an ISO of 100. I think I had my circular polarizing filter on. I may have taken it off at that point since the sun was low enough to not cause reflections or glare. I don't recall.

I'd prefer the color in the woods as bynx showed, and the original water...if you know how to do that, I think it would look good. The blued trees really distracts more than you might think, not about drawing the eyes, but drawing the brain. Instead of looking at the water I am thinking "why are the trees blue"...which takes away from the water.

***I'm sure bynx just made error as most new folks are not set to "not edit", I made that blunder for the first time the other night accidntally, I am sure he would never disregard a persons wishes just to put up an edited photo...in fact...most are honored he would take the time to edit their photo...I know I am, even if they don't like the change...bynx does great work and is a very helpful member. Allowing others to edit your photos will better allow for illustrating their recommendations. Just food for thought.

As I try to avoid the kind of people who are arrogant enough to choose not to touch their pics it was an honest oversight on my part that I touched yours. It wont happen again.

Thanks for the insight there Ernicus. As for the honest mistake. That is why I posted that I wasn't upset. Just wanted to let him know. And I felt I did so in a respectful way with no malice. My other thought is. How am I as a second time thread poster supposed to know that he is so helpful? I have no problem taking critiques. I do try to defend my choices. Which I know is not the best practice when getting a critique. So I guess do have issue with taking critiques. :) (by the way the smiley I put in denotes a joking manor or something I find humorous) My opinion varied as well as at least one other person. And I tried my best to explain why I liked my edit better and what I liked about the other with out disrespect.
Bynx I will try later today to message you so we can resolve this issue, in an appropriate manor. I do thank you for the apology.

How am I as a second time thread poster supposed to know that he is so helpful?

You're not, I was just letting you know. Just filling you in is all I was doing.

I don't think there is an issue to resolve personally. When I first joined my first thought was "I don't want people touching my stuff". Then I left my ego at the door, realized I have so much to learn, and folks here can help me.

On a forum such as this, each time you take a picture that you think is perfect, there are 50 people that can make it better, to which you can learn off of. I wouldn't allow editing on facebook, lol, but here is different.

I'm not trying to sway you in any way. Just friendly insight. ;-)

***I'm sure bynx just made error as most new folks are not set to "not edit", I made that blunder for the first time the other night accidntally, I am sure he would never disregard a persons wishes just to put up an edited photo...in fact...most are honored he would take the time to edit their photo...I know I am, even if they don't like the change...bynx does great work and is a very helpful member. Allowing others to edit your photos will better allow for illustrating their recommendations. Just food for thought.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I also have seen what Bynx can do and as good as he is, I like your "moodier" version more. I would go back before sunset with an ND and chop some of those branches in the forground. Just my 2cents.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back