What's new

Blue silky water.

Thanks so much. I would love to have a ND. I've been pricing them up and doing a small amount of research. Need to save up for a good one but also debating whether or not so buy a new camera and lenses first. Tough choice, but yeah once I get a ND then I am going to enjoy going back and trying again.
 
Bynx's edit is superior in every way, IMO. All that blue just looks horrible. That is my honest opinion. That said, I really like the composition, and Bynx's edit really enhances the mood I sort of get from the original.

Why not let people edit your shots? It's much easier to help you out, when you're having questions about your shots.
 
First off thank you for the compliment on the composition. I've been working on that recently. Most of the time I try while actually shooting it. Sometimes I do it in post processing with cropping.

I'm not opposed to people helping me. The way I like to learn and practice is I prefer to have someone tell me how they would achieve a specific edit. Then I would try it. If I am unable to understand what the are saying to do or need assistance then I would be more then willing to let them show me through an edit. As Bynx did. He simply stated what he had done and showed the result. I just prefer to be asked first and attempt it first. I learn better trying it myself as opposed to someone doing it for me. I also usually have a specific thought in mind when editing and am trying to achieve the result. And not everyone has the same taste (as shown by your opinion) or would edit to the same result I am looking for.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/off-topic-chat/289378-let-edit-not-let-edit.html If you would like to respond to my answer please go to that link its a discussion I started about this subject. I'd prefer to keep this one as a discussion on the photo itself and peoples thoughts on it. (Even though that seems to have died out)
Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
The water looks way under exposed to me. I'm looking at it on iPhone screen, but it looks like there was an extreme loss of detail in the water to me.
 
As I try to avoid the kind of people who are arrogant enough to choose not to touch their pics it was an honest oversight on my part that I touched yours. It wont happen again.
Since you didn't delete the edit you did, though the OP called you out in a respectful manner about you violating their edit preference, I deleted it for you.
 
The water looks way under exposed to me. I'm looking at it on iPhone screen, but it looks like there was an extreme loss of detail in the water to me.
Does the iPhone compensate for the ambient light falling on it? Is your iPhone's gamma curve, and color rendering calibrated.

The water in the OPs photo was likely purposely motion blurred so it would have little detail.
 
For me, on my calibrated screen it is too dark and too blue/grey. I didn't see the edit, but I think it does need a slight shift away from the blue as the first thing I thought wasn't, "great composition" but "hey, that's very blue"
 
For me on my calibrated monitor it is intentionally left with the blue tint to it. :) I left it as such because I was going for the dusk (dark time) mood. When things begin to get the blueish tint to them because the sun is no longer above the horizon. That time right before it get to dark to see anything and you need to use your AF illuminantor to walk home. :) Also give it that very cool almost cold feeling of late Autumn early winter. I mean that's the feeling I was going for.
Yes the water is intentionally blurred. Which would cause a great loss of detail.
I do however agree that it is very blue, and even a little dark. I mentioned after the one critique that I agreed it needed to be lightened up a bit. I haven't done it yet. But I will post what the edit that was done for me looked like. I am not a fan for the reasons I mentioned. It went away from what I was aiming for as well.

2vcdp1i.jpg


He did a simple auto color correction to it. Some people think it is far superior other like me not so much. Taste differs but I appreciate the critiques and offering suggestions on what you think might help. You never know it might take my thought process in a whole different direction and change the way I view the photograph I have taken. So please continue to critique and give suggestions of what might help me to improve both in editing and in photographing. Thanks so much.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom