Blurry Long Exposure

....... To resolve mirror slap use the self timer. .........

Using Mirror Up would be much better.

Yes. I meant and should have said to use the self timer to eliminate moving the camera while engaging the shutter. My standard method is to use live view (mirror up) and the self timer with a 2 second delay.

....... To resolve mirror slap use the self timer. .........

Using Mirror Up would be much better.

Yes. I meant and should have said to use the self timer to eliminate moving the camera while engaging the shutter. My standard method is to use live view (mirror up) and the self timer with a 2 second delay.

My SOP is to use a remote and the camera set to Mirror Up. One press of the remote raises the mirror and does everything else up to the point of opening the first shutter curtain. Then, when I decide to, I press the remote again to actuate the shutter.

If I recall correctly, on at least the d3x00 and d5x00 series if you use LiveView then take a photo, the mirror drops back down and backup again just as if it did it the regular way. So there's no advantage. Those cameras do not have a MuP function so the mirror acts differently than cameras that have MuP software functions.

If I recall correctly, on at least the d3x00 and d5x00 series if you use LiveView then take a photo, the mirror drops back down and backup again just as if it did it the regular way. So there's no advantage. Those cameras do not have a MuP function so the mirror acts differently than cameras that have MuP software functions.

I don't know. On the 7000 series and full frame models (or at least the 800 series) it doesn't do that. I'm not sure Nikon has any sort of mirror up function except for live view. Another nice thing about these cameras is the level function that I use to level the camera before shooting. It is easier, faster and more accurate than the bubble levels on the tripods.

Yes, I had the d7000 also but I always used MuP. The d7x00 is a mid-consumer camera, not in the same league as the d3x00 and d5x00 consumer level.

My (d7000 - page 7 of the manual) d600 and d750 also have MuP, you can find it on the release mode dial on the left shoulder where Single, Continuous Low, Continous High, Quiet, Self Timer, Remote Control, Mirror Up is located.

D8x0 has MuP too.

If you search the internet about this issue it's full of it on the d3x00 and d5x00 problem.
==> Why there is more shutter lag when using live-preview as compared to viewfinder?

==> Why is taking pictures with screen turned on with Nikon D5300 very slow?

==> What does Live View do after the shot is taken?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:

My DSLR does that in live view ( the mirror has to be down for metering IIRC)
Using the self timer gives the camera a chance to settle after moving the mirror out of the way, 2s is generally enough.

This isn't an issue with mirrorless cameras of course, though the self timer is still often the easiest way to avoid shake from pressing the shutter release...

I'd be very disappointed if the mirror was the problem, I am sure having VC on with the tripod is not helping. If that doesn't fix it I will try M-UP. If that fails, I'll call Nikon and Manfrotto to figure WHY!

There is a "Shutter Delay" feature on the d3x00 and d5x00 which can also help for this situation.
I dont' have a d3x00 of d5x00 but I've helped friends with d3x00. I bought my d7000 because it had features like the MuP that I required to have .. too bad it didn't have the built-in viewfinder blind too of higher end models.

Yeah, the issue I am talking about is on my D7100...my wife mainly uses the D3200.

We are looking to get a D500, but want to see what Nikon does at Photo Plus if they announce a replacement for the D750/810 models. If no FX release, then D500 it is, if there is a FX release, we will compare it to the D500 and decide based on our needs.

I also use a Shutter Release Remote or 2 Second Timer for LE Shots

Most reactions

Back