BMX Freestyle Shots- First Time

The 3 that im seeing now really don't scream BMX mag cover shot but hell its your first time. Noon is a problem like you said and the lack of showing his face. I bet with a little planning your second time will be way better. Have the rider lose the hat or turn it backward and try later in the day for better light.

Funny thread by the way :lol:

what kind of bothers me is the shots that i can actually see that arent a broken link...the face is covered and the composition could be better. maybe down almost on the ground looking up...with a flash to illuminate the rider instead of it making it look like a snapshot. thats my $0.02

what kind of bothers me is the shots that i can actually see that arent a broken link...the face is covered and the composition could be better. maybe down almost on the ground looking up...with a flash to illuminate the rider instead of it making it look like a snapshot. thats my $0.02
None of them are broken links (I see them all).
The face is covered by the hat, but that's what he wanted. This isn't a portrait set. If you were shooting a jockey on a horse running down the track, would you complain if the jockey kept his head down the whole time? Or a motorcross rider with a helmet blocking the face in a set?
I've definitely planned to get lower to the ground next time, I just need a rider who gets more then 3 feet of air.
Flash to illuminate the rider huh...... Funny comment in regards to snapshot. I'm amused, especially after seeing how familiar you were with snapshots.

EDIT:
Wish this forum had a thread delete option. I've decided that an open forum with reviews from just ol anybody, doesn't fit my desire or personality.

Last edited:
well i assume that you posted these here to get C&C'd and everyone has their own opinion, especially in photography which is a for of art...which also is subjective to the opinion of others...So instead of being defensive you should just accept it, or ignore it. if the photos make you happy then so be it.

Last edited:
well i assume that you posted these here to get C&C'd and everyone has their own opinion, especially in photography which is a for of art...which also is subjective to the opinion of others...So instead of being defensive you should just accept it, or ignore it. if the photos make you happy then so be it.

It is subjective, but I've had no real beneficial feedback here, so then it becomes just a bunch of opinions that aren't aligned with what I was looking for.
I would say more the comments and critique, I was looking for comments and techniques. I think I'll find it a bit more helpful to spend some time on strobist and to find a few other venues to practice on.

Most reactions

Back