BMX

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first attempt at shooting BMX bikers. External flash on the left of the camera. I know about the flare ;P
3436700770_fe8f34d091_o.jpg

You got your exposure and the subject lit up nicely, it's just that the composition is kind of boring. When you're shooting this sort of stuff, figure out how you want to frame the shot before hand and focus on the point that he's going to be in before he's actually there. Next time you get the chance, work with your rule of thirds for composing shots.

You got your exposure and the subject lit up nicely, it's just that the composition is kind of boring. When you're shooting this sort of stuff, figure out how you want to frame the shot before hand and focus on the point that he's going to be in before he's actually there. Next time you get the chance, work with your rule of thirds for composing shots.
I was thinking about the ROT but decided not to follow that rule since I was using my 10-20mm @ 10 so I didn't want the guy to look like hes being warped into the middle.

If you were using that wide of an angle, I would've gotten a heck of a lot closer. I usually only save my wide angle for shots where I'm pretty much right in their face.

timing is everything with bmx and skateboarding. you were just a bit early on this one.

also, i don't mind seeing where the flash is coming from, but the fact that it is barely helping to expose the rider defeats its purpose. a tripod/stand (even hand-holding it) would make a huge difference here.

the composition is weird. i understand your reasoning, but i don't think it would have been bad to have some distortion on him. a fisheye would be better IMO.

I wanted to get closer, but the gy didn't want me that close lol.
BTW forgot to mention. I have no idea who that guy is. I just jumped the red wall behind the guys in the back (which is what I usually do every sunday lol) and asked them if I can get some shots. They were emmm.... weird lol.
And also if you want I can put up the shot where I didnt use flash to show the difference on exposure.

Now I understand what you mean, that would definitely be weird haha.

Heres a photo from a year ago or so at a local BMX track

Ash-turndown.jpg

Its blurry and horrible but was taken with nothing other than the good old D40 and 18-55 haha

Angled shots with a wide-angle lens is a definate no, it creates a very distorted affect that personally makes me kinda dizzy when I look at it lol.
Another is as said previous, timing, you wanna get him mid trick, definately hard thing for you to do tho if your not into bmx because you don't really know what hes going for. And lastly, angles will do even the simplest of tricks for a sport major justification... Like a wall-ride for bmx... simple but with the proper lighting and angles, it looks A LOT more impressive.

ex: This photo in specific because I mentioned wall-rides and I took this one like you with only one wireless flash.
DSC_0007.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back