book on shutter speed, aperture, etc

sjbdeebo2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a book that has aperture, shutter speed, etc. I would like to learn how to use these together to get the best out of my camera. Normally I use the auto setting but am tired of not getting the photo's I want.

I've flipped through a book on the XSi and also a few other books. Does Scott Kelby's books have anything on these topics? I quickly flipped through his Digital Photography book and it wasn't too in depth on it. I guess I can go back and read a little more about it, and what is the difference between the first and second volume?

But has anyone had any good experiences or heard good reviews on this topic?

Thanks
Sebastian

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/047038087X[/ame]

i used the nikon d40 version when i was learning, it taught me a lot about the above mentioned things

The basics of photography; shutter speed, aperture, composition etc....have been the same since the beginning. So you don't need a book written in the 'digital era'. I'd suggest going to your local library and seeing what they have, there might be some good older books.

Many people recommend 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson.

I second Big Mikes suggestion!
the Scot Kelby book is a basic book - its not made to explain the settings in any depth, but more to provide a starting point for different situations and what settings to use in those situations. Its good as a starting point but once you want to know the ins and outs its too basic

Honestly any beginning photography book will cover exposure and will probably do it the same because nothing has changed with shutter speed, aperture and ISO since they were first used over a hundred years ago. I doubt you need a book, you could probably look up 'photography exposure basics' on google and find what you need.

The basics of photography; shutter speed, aperture, composition etc....have been the same since the beginning. So you don't need a book written in the 'digital era'. I'd suggest going to your local library and seeing what they have, there might be some good older books.

Many people recommend 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson.

+1 for Understanding Exposure. Peterson does a good job explaining everything in "laymans terms" with big beautiful photos and captions explaining what settings he used, and why.

+1 for Understanding Exposure. Peterson does a good job explaining everything in "laymans terms" with big beautiful photos and captions explaining what settings he used, and why.

I'll also add my vote to Understanding Exposure.

After reading many great mentions of the book on this forum, I bought it, even though I was taking a class.

He writes the book very well and gives great examples. While my class covered the topics he mentions (although we went more in depth, and covered other topics), the book was a great read for someone getting into photography.

I bought it instead of barrowing it from the library. I should have just barrowed it. It just sits on my shelf except when I'm letting a friend barrow it.

I bought it instead of barrowing it from the library. I should have just barrowed it. It just sits on my shelf except when I'm letting a friend barrow it.

lol I actually bought it a little while ago. I have a few weeks off and don't feel like waiting for the book to come to my local library. I got it at Walmart for a sweet deal :thumbup:

I learned a lot of that stuff from online resources. There are TONS of stuff online that are free and very helpful

i just bought Understading Exposure by Brian Peterson about a week ago. well worth it. i was told about it on this site. he knows his stuff and even better he explains it much simplier then it sounds. easy to learn book. and he shows off his wife. im not complaining.

and shoot, shoot and shoot!

lol I actually bought it a little while ago. I have a few weeks off and don't feel like waiting for the book to come to my local library. I got it at Walmart for a sweet deal :thumbup:

That's awesome. I have to confess that I Have bought all of his(Byran Peterson) books. I really enjoy his style of writing, and his style of photography for that matter. If you get a chance you should check out his other books too. They are well worth it.

Most reactions

Back