Books or sites on Film Developing

Nevermore1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone recommend some good books (ebook preferred but I'll get DTB also) or websites to learn about setting up a small darkroom and developing film? I haven't used film in 10+ years but have been thinking about getting a used medium format camera to play around with for something new (and I have wanted to learn how to develope since I was a kid). I'm not going to get anything fancy as I figure one of two things will happen - I'll love it and end up investing more into it or I've gotten spoiled by the instant results of digital and I won't have the patience to wait. I'm also looking around my area to see if any of the rec centers have dark rooms which are open to the public. Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Nevermore! :)

You really can't go wrong with Henry Horenstein and this very thorough book. Step by step on film developing, darkroom setups, safety, film types - you name it. He is excellent, but then so is Tim Rudman (google him) and plenty of others.

For dedicated analog forums, try APUG. You'll get more help than you can imagine!

Enjoy the re-discovery of film! Once you get past the "butter fingers" stage, you'll find it actually goes fairly quickly. If you're the type of person who likes to work with your hands, that tactile aspect of film is also a draw.

Have fun!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got an older Yashica-mat on ebay. Guy says it works and he cleaned it. Pics of the camera make it look like it's in good condition. If there's anything wrong with it he takes returns. I'm sure my husband is going to roll his eyes when it comes in but he can't complain as I used my X-Mas $ from his parents to buy it.

A darkroom isn't needed for developing film. You only need one to make wet prints. You can use a dark / film-changing bag if you're only going to develop the film. Once it's in the developing tank, it's a daylight operation from there.

I recently acquired a medium format film camera also. I went the changing bag and scanner route. Much less space than installing a darkroom.
I'm probably going to go this route as well until I figure out if it's something I want to keep doing. If I do enjoy it I may expand to printing the photos as well. I'm sticking to B&W as well.

Thanks and will do. The camera is shipping from ME to me in VA so I'm hoping it will arrive early next week and that it doesn't have any light leaks in it.

For in depth study of B&W film developing I highly recommend two books by Steve Anchell:
The Darkroom Cookbook and The Film Developing Cookbook

For in depth study of B&W film developing I highly recommend two books by Steve Anchell:
The Darkroom Cookbook and The Film Developing Cookbook

Thanks, I was able to get the first one on my nook but will have to order the second one.

If you are looking for an all-encompassing book to get the creative juices flowing migght I suggest Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse. It is a pretty hefty book but it is chock full of 'Get Your Film On'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back