Bowens Studio lights

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to knowing what studio lights are good. I know there are a few bargain buys on the internet but won't last as long as something like a bowens kit. It's my 21st next month and my generous parents have agreed to buy me a set of bowens studio lights and accessories.

Budget is around £1000 but i don't want to spend that much and tbh on forums I find setting a budget higher than what you have makes things easier.

Are the gemini kits good or is it better to buy things individually? I've had a look at http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?&ns=1&sc=UK but there's quite a lot of products to take in. any advice would be appreciated

ok, well firstly I'd like them to be portable as I sadly do not own a studio. the majority of the photography I plan to do will be portraiture/fashion. I can't see myself doing any macro photography in a studio as it doesn't appeal to me. At the moment I'm thinking 3-4 heads depending on what varies on lights heads aside from power output. Other accessories, I'm thinking light box(es), barn doors, snoots, honey combs etc. I'll need a light meter too come to think of it

Barn doors only work with tungsten light.
Do you know how to use all that stuff? ;)
For general fashion I would recommend the following as a basic set up:
2x Bowens Esprit 500
2x stands
2x silver/white brollies
2x spill kills
1x softbox
That should take you from beginner up to entry level pro.
If you have the money then get a third head with stand, spill kill and brollie.

I realise this is an old post but I should be getting my lights within the next week or so but still not sure what ones to get. They are a tad more expensive than I was expecting.

Would you say it was really essential to get 500W+? What's the major draw back with the 250W as I was looking at the DX kit...?

More power from your lights gives you a greater range of options when using them - ISO, depth of field, area you can light...
It's always a good rule to get the best you can. If cost is a major consideration then you are stuck with it - but if you can stretch to better ones then it's the best way to go.

Most reactions

Back