Boy, Do I LOVE Screwing with Spammers on Craiglist!!

Well, the scammers on Craigslist have little or nothing on the scammers hitting the ole' email boxes of millions of innocent people world wide. What you are doing is commonly called "scambaiting"--dicking around spammers whose only goal is to rip you off. I had some fun with a Nigerian scammer this summer, along the lines of some of this stuff

Welcome to the 419 Eater

The site has a nice FAQ, as well as tips here Welcome to the 419 Eater

And remember--the people you are dealing with are *criminals* and should be treated as such.

Thanks for the link! I might actually join there....

of course when you reply they will have your email.

Does that matter? I don't mean that rude but can they do anything with that?

I got a return from both Joy and John

Joy's response:
"Hi I`m interested in buying this item for my client in US my mode of payment is money order in which i would like you to let me know the final asking price of the item while the shipping is going to made via my shipping agent in US this is to let you that my client will include the shipping fees and my commission in the money order.I don"t really know the exact amount that will be on the left fund will be i only need honesty to only deduct your item fees and wire back whatever left as my commission and for shipping company fee the same day you get the money order payment i also want you to close the advert on craigslist once you get my message just email me your address to send the money order payment and the full name and as you want it to appear on the money order
Thanks"

I said
"Asking price is $500,000 and I will pay shipping.

Please get back as soon as possible.

Best Regards

~Michael~"

John said
"okay ...send me money request through paypal so that i can transfer
the money asap"

I returned saying
"I need your account number along with address, physical address of course and also your social security number. Thanks for allowing me to steal your identity"

~Michael~

of course when you reply they will have your email.

Yahoo or hotmail accounts are perfectly fine for dealing with these spammers. You merely tell them that the point of first contact was your work account, and from there, your job is to waste as much of their time and resources as you can: remember, the 419 scam is a bulk-mail criminal enterprise...the ideal thing to do is to get them to make trips to Western Union to "pick up" large amounts of money you have "wired to them". It wastes their time,and keeps them off the computer, and diverts their resources from being used to scam others. Fake WU forms are available on the web for this purpose. Scambaiting is actually quite fun. As I said, these people are criminals.

One definition of laugh riot is to send one of these crooks across town to pick up his "$1,000 wire transfer" and read his whiny, frustrated complaints about how the money was not there!

Ha ha I'm not sure if I want to get THAT into this scambaiting. I'm just trying to sell a lens!!

~Michael~

John replied back to me.....

"send your full name and address to me so that i can send the check to you.after you have cash the check you then send the item to me .thanks"

Of course.

Address is 1234 Scaleybark Leaf Route, Charlotte NC 28437

Make the check out to $500,000

~Michael~

Of course that wasn't my real address!

~Michael~

I went to the extreme with one that pissed me off. Got his IP from his email header, scanned some open ports, found some weaknesses, and the rest....well, sucks for him.

wouldn't it be rough if that is a real address and somebody tries to cash it.

I bet you could get them to send it to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC

I'm sure they probably would. I would just be concerned that they actually send a check!

I went to the extreme with one that pissed me off. Got his IP from his email header, scanned some open ports, found some weaknesses, and the rest....well, sucks for him.

What did they do. THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT ELABORATION!!

I think one of them actually said they would send a check and once I cash it send the "item"

I'm seriously considering taking him up on that offer!

~Michael~

I think one of them actually said they would send a check and once I cash it send the "item"

I'm seriously considering taking him up on that offer!

~Michael~

If you do that, you will get to keep your item, so then all you will be out is the bank fees charged to you for depositing a bad check in your account.

Most reactions

Back