Brass Section From Above

I'm going to shamelessly bump this thread with the B&W version of this image. Hopefully this can get me some feedback. If these suck, I want to know why... so please start shooting!

Last edited:
the black and white doesnt do much for me, but the color one is stunning. only gripe is that the trumpet isnt as vibrant as the sky and statue.

white objects can be really hard to shoot, and i see plenty of detail in yours. great job!

Thanks, chammer. I was wondering what to do with the angel's right hand. Clone it? Leave as is (i.e., cut off)? Thoughts?

I prefer the color version. I think for me though, I'd prefer that the entire hand be visible at the bottom or else not have it in there at all.

I'd prefer that the entire hand be visible at the bottom or else not have it in there at all.
Thanks, Carol. I'm receiving opinions for and against cloning the half-hand out. I suppose there's no right or wrong answer to my question...

I like the edit. I think it works much better without the hand because without it the image seems more complete. With just the half hand it felt a bit incomplete, if that makes sense. ;)

yes, the edit's good. it feels weird though cause i know what's supposed to be there. but if i'd seen this one first and then been shown the one with the hand i would say this one is better. agreed with the above comment about the trumpet. dodge that horn!

the edited one is very good. :thumbup:
the bw version has wrong sky management and the shadows look too dark

Isn't this 'from below'? :lol:
Well, it's the brass section from above... shot from below :lol:

I like the edit. I think it works much better without the hand because without it the image seems more complete. With just the half hand it felt a bit incomplete, if that makes sense. ;)
It does make sense. I would feel a bit incomplete if I had half a hand too ;)

agreed with the above comment about the trumpet. dodge that horn!
No dodging from me. Don't even know how to do it!

the bw version has wrong sky management and the shadows look too dark
This gave me a good chuckle and I appreciate you for that! I don't do sky management, I'm just a guy with a camera (not a photographer) :) (Welcome to the forum, btw)

Thanks EVERYBODY for the feedback!

OK no one's mentioned this, but the framing is awkward. You show 3/4 of the angel. If you can reshoot it, try shooting the whole angel and a bit of the base it is mounted on. It's like shooting a person from the knees up. Awkward.

Most reactions

Back