Brian

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian is a friend of mine who was a buddhist monk in China for many years, and he hired me to take some photos of him in the various pieces that he owns. These two shots stood out to me as my favorites from the shoot.
Shot in natural light (I set my backdrop up outside on his front porch).

Canon 5D classic, Canon 50mm f/1.4 set to f/9, 1/125th sec, ISO 500.
_MG_7698.jpg
_MG_7690.jpg

IMG_2715.PNG
In the first photo,the skin on his face and his upper neck and his right ear appears somewhat yellow to me, while the skin on his lower neck, nose,chest,and head appears much more red-colored and natural.

I have uploaded a screen cap from my phone so you can see what I'm talking about. Notice about the level of his eyeball,above that the skin on the top of his head looks ruddy and healthy

Last edited:
In the first photo,the skin on his face and his upper neck and his right ear appears somewhat yellow to me, while the skin on his lower neck, nose,chest,and head appears much more red-colored and natural.
Are you viewing on a calibrated display? I just calibrated and am not seeing any color issues.

Either way I appreciate the feedback.

I think I see what Derrel is seeing, too. It doesn't bother me in the least though as it appears to be a very slight effect caused by the colour of his tunic being picked up by his neck and lower jaw line. If Derrel hadn't pointed it out I'd never have noticed because I'd expect it.

Good portraits by the way. I like them both.

IMG_2716.PNG
I had wondered too if it was a color reflection of his clothing. It is a pretty obvious yellow orange effect except in his nose the top of his head and his neck area. It looks really bad and I was wondering if it might be his natural skin tone or a tanning product or a variation in his natural skin tone. I am viewing this on an iPhone, and it's pretty clear the skintone does not look natural in the neck area,said the Side of the face nor on the ear ---it looks jaundiced,Monitor calibration or not, the skin is not even. compare the skin tone on the nose or the neck against his right cheek--- substantially different skin tone

I have uploaded a small screen cap of an enlargement of the section I am talking about. ncompare against the light gray of the ringer box, differences in color.

Last edited:
View attachment 178055I had wondered too if it was a color reflection of his clothing. It is a pretty obvious yellow orange effect except in his nose the top of his head and his neck area. It looks really bad and I was wondering if it might be his natural skin tone or a tanning product or a variation in his natural skin tone. I am viewing this on an iPhone, and it's pretty clear the skintone does not look natural in the neck area,said the Side of the face nor on the ear ---it looks jaundiced,Monitor calibration or not, the skin is not even. compare the skin tone on the nose or the neck against his right cheek--- substantially different skin tone

I have uploaded a small screen cap of an enlargement of the section I am talking about. ncompare against the light gray of the ringer box, differences in color.
Thanks for the feedback. Notwithstanding the fact that an iPhone is not a calibrated display, I don't see it as looking "really bad" and find the gold tones to be pleasing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.gold tones... just to be clear you put quotes around the phrase really bad… I did not say it looks really bad… there is no need for a color calibrated Monitor… We have the white of his beard. We can see that the top of his head,his nose, and his neck look ruddy... and a substantial portion of his face looks yellow, not golden.

I waited about one day before replying to your post. Monitor calibration has absolutely nothing to do with the way your picture comes across. We have a 12% gray and a pure white to judge color relativity.

Last edited:
I think I see what Derrel is seeing, too. It doesn't bother me in the least though as it appears to be a very slight effect caused by the colour of his tunic being picked up by his neck and lower jaw line. If Derrel hadn't pointed it out I'd never have noticed because I'd expect it.

Good portraits by the way. I like them both.
Thank you. I believe it was an effect from the tunic as well, however I also don't see the effect as a detriment to the portrait.

Thanks for the reply.gold tones... just to be clear you put quotes around the phrase really bad… I did not say it looks really bad… there is no need for a color calibrated Monitor… We have the white of his beard. We can see that the top of his head,his nose, and his neck look ruddy... and a substantial portion of his face looks yellow, not golden.

I waited about one day before replying to your post. Monitor calibration has absolutely nothing to do with the way your picture comes across. We have a 12% gray and a pure white to judge color relativity.
I'm sincerely sorry Derrel, I was being completely grouchy and ungrateful yesterday. You have only made reasonable observations and I didn't need to respond to you defensively.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back