Bridals at Riter Mansion

Here's a quick edit of a non smile. I must admit that I like it better than the same pose of her smiling!

5881338906_1ff8084d54_z.jpg

#4 suffers from barrel distortion, the brick wall looks curved. The pillars are tilted, the lamps are tilted, the horizontal of the brick sidewalk is tilted, the car is tilted.

#5 shows possible, slight barrel distortion. If we split actual hairs, the right side is off by a hair. Negligible. However, the left is noticeably off, and the floor molding and all the horizontals of the window panes are off. I think it really hurts a spectacular image.

#8 your horizontals are dead on, but it is showing convergence of the verticals. A quick perpective crop would fix it right up.

#10, I think could do without the framing of the doorway. It doesn't add much to the story other than you were in another room.

Your images are fantastic. I can't argue against that. I am detail oriented. It's how/what I see. It comes from my work.

Back to the drawing board on some of these lines. Thank you! #10 I wanted to get a feeling that I'd come upon a scene and photographed it. Kindof a stolen moment. Maybe her looking at the camera ruined that feel, I glanced back through my unedited images to see if I've got more of a candid of this one and I dont. She's looking at me in everyone.

Now I'm noticing on the one I just posted . . . so many dang lines to keep an eye on. I'll go back and fix those up as well.

This doesn't seem quite your usual standard TC; a nice-enough set, but doesn't quite have the 'zip' I expect from your work. A couple of thoughts: Your "verticals" issue is not so much caused by have the camera out of level in the horizontal/vertical axis, but rather because it's not square to the background. In #s 4, 5 and 8 if you'd positioned yourself with the lens axis at 90 to the background elements, than things would look fine. In cases like this, I find it's best to straighten/level by eye rather than using a tool. Rotate the image by small increments until you basically middle the difference between the obvious vertical elements and the subject. Additionally, I think this is a girl who really should be encourage to use a smaller smile.

Yes, I don't usually stand a a 90 degree angle to my subject . . . I feel it makes for a less powerful feel. BUT I can see how it hurt me in these . . . especially the window images where the lines are so dominant.

I do appreciate your opinion. I am booked EVERY night through July, and have been that way since the begininng of May. I am exhausted!!! I think it's starting to take it's toll on me creatively. August is full of vacations and family reunions. Maybe I'll get some mojo back!

booked every night? Wow.. busy.

Back to the drawing board on some of these lines. Thank you! #10 I wanted to get a feeling that I'd come upon a scene and photographed it. Kindof a stolen moment. Maybe her looking at the camera ruined that feel, I glanced back through my unedited images to see if I've got more of a candid of this one and I dont. She's looking at me in everyone.

Now I'm noticing on the one I just posted . . . so many dang lines to keep an eye on. I'll go back and fix those up as well.

(bolded part) I kinda gathered that was the goal. But to my sensibility, I think you would need to show much more of the foreground room/ top of the door frame to really convey that story.
It falls into one of my mantras..."DO it, or don't"... meaning either make the statement, or don't. Like Schwetty said about blowing out the windows.

my completly amatuer remarks here. but i like the smile versus the non smile you posted. to me she almost looks sad when she doesnt smile.

i like i think it was #7 the non static shot but her expression for me is what kills the photo. she almost looks as if she is worried shes doing it wrong. just not a great facial expression.

and for a shot like #10 something like that i think bitter said it as well but pull further back, id problaby try and make the door frame almost like the frame of the picture.

i really like them though. much better then i could do.

You blame Flickr for causing a weird color cast to the images; did you assign an sRGB profile to the images, so that the images would display properly on the widest number of different web browser applications? I see some odd greenish tinges, and some yellowish tinges, on some of these shots. As far as the tilts and canted camera issues, which I am normally very un-fond of...on these images, there really was not a lot of issue for me on any of the photos...cants and tilts did not jump out at me. But the color cast issues were quite noticeable.

Wow, these photos are gorgeous. I like #5 a lot, though it does seem tilted clockwise.

Hi TC, I just saw these. My faves are the ones by the window. They are just beautiful. I also really like the one below, but the column was really bugging me. My eye just kept going to the crooked gap to the left of it. Your profile states that the photos are ok to edit, so I hope you don't mind:

Original as posted:
5881093084_8e822b506b_z.jpg

A little shim with the prospective edit, a slightly tighter crop, and I removed the rail from behind her:
5881093084_8e822b506b_zprospecive.jpg

I also love the one where she is dancing outdoors. So cute!

Most reactions

Back