Brightest Minolta AF viewfinder

Phalbert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody! I often use a Minolta 7000 with slow manual focus telephoto lenses (F8 or 11) While I'm quite happy with the bright viewfinder, I wish to know if there is an even better one in the AF models range. I know of the Maxxum 9, but the going prices are a bit steep for me (and it looks huge). How is the 9000? What about the models which came later? Thanks a lot for your help.

Just doing a visual comparison between my Maxxum cameras ... the 7000 (standard screen) and 9000 (split screen) viewfinders are similar, the 7000i (standard screen) is slightly darker. I think the 7xi is similar.
I have heard that the 7/9 has higher quality screens that are brighter.

Thanks a lot. So I understand the 7000's viewfinder is better than the one of the 7000i but not as bright as the 7 and 9. Right? Is there a difference in size? I notice all the later cameras (including digitals) have smaller viewfinder images than earlier cameras. Has that also happened to the 7/9 compared to the 7000/9000? Seems that I should be happy with the 7000 in the end.

The web says the 7/9 screen is brighter ... I have never viewed through either camera.

Not sure if the viewfinder size is larger on the 7/9.
My three Maxxum's appear the same. From what I recall, the viewfinder size did not change much through the i, si, and xi series.

Yes, most of the APS-C Alpha DSLR's have small viewfinders.
The full frame Alpha DSLR's have a nice generous size (you can tell by the physical size of the prism head ... very similar to my old Canon nF-1 AE prism head).
The Alpha SLT's have as large a viewfinder because it is an LCD (one of the reason's I got the SLT-A55) so does not use a pentaprism. The large LCD size makes it great to view through.
Too bad Sony did not make a split screen specifically for the Alpha's.

Understanding Viewfinders

"One reason bright screens are so widely used today is that many SLRs are now autofocus, and focus isn't dependent on your eye, so focusing snap no longer matters. If you want to see what a really bright viewfinder looks like, take a gander through Minolta's Maxxum 7 next time you're in a camera store. It's an example of a finder with very good brightness, but it doesn't have very good focusing snap. The Maxxum 7's magnification is excellent as well, at least by AF-camera standards. Although manual focusing with this finder may be tough, it's an incredibly bright, contrasty, crisp and clean AF viewfinder. Frankly, compared to most cameras these days, the Maxxum 7 is a pleasure to shoot with because it's such a pleasure to look at the world through. But I digress."

I understand that manually focusing with an AF screen can be difficult, but with my 7000 I stick to some slow tele lenses where DOF is so that it makes it the best bet for MF. I understand I should be happy with it. Thanks a lot.

Excellent infos. Thanks a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back