Bronica SQ-Ai waist level viewer Question

BronicaSQ-ai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a Bronica SQ-Ai with the 110mm macro lens.

This is the first time I have had a waist level viewer.

My question is this: Is it alright to place a loupe inside the waist level? You know, treat it like looking though the back of a view finder? I placed a loupe inside of it once and the magnification helped me an extraordinary amount when it came to focusing.

Sure, why not. Doesn't your waist-level finder have the built-in, flip-up magnifying glass so you can focus better??? I have two SQ-A bodies, and both have waist-level finders with the swing-up magnifier...

yes it does.

What I am asking is if there is a risk of the loupe scratching up the focusing screen and damaging it

I am asking because a loupe magnifies right on the split-screen focusing mechanism more so than the flip-top magnifier

What I am asking is if there is a risk of the loupe scratching up the focusing screen and damaging it...

The focusing screen is plastic so there is some risk. The top side of the screen is not the extremely fragile active focusing surface so we're not talking major risk. The very fragile side with the "ground" surface and prisms is the lower side facing the lens.

If the loupe has a smooth plastic base, the likelyhood of significant scratches on the top side is small. I've know a number of people that prefer a high quality loupe to the simple single element flip-up magnifiers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back