Browser causing color loss?

Syndac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.syndac.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never noticed this before, but I've been trying to figure out for the last hour what's going on. I've recently created an HDR image which shows up perfectly fine on my screen, but as soon as I try to view it through any web browser there's noticable color loss. The image below is the one I'm working with, unfortunately I can't post the "before" image because this is it as well. This exact same image has more color saturation and looks a lot better when viewing it in a regular image viewer. If I save the online version and view it in anything else, the color is back again. Any ideas?

index.jpg

It needs to be in sRGB, you're probably in AdobeRGB.

Ahh thanks, that fixed it. :thumbup::mrgreen:

I assumed that would have effected other image viewers as well but I guess not.

I'll affect all image viewers which do not understand the source ICC profile. Things like old versions of ACDsee, most internet browsers and many free image viewers. Other applications like Photoshop and Windows picture and fax viewer don't have an issue.

A few browsers new browsers are also colour managed like Firefox 3 which was released today (although it's disabled by default). Leaving things in sRGB of course eliminates the problem as you can never be sure what browser your viewers are using.

I'll affect all image viewers which do not understand the source ICC profile. Things like old versions of ACDsee, most internet browsers and many free image viewers. Other applications like Photoshop and Windows picture and fax viewer don't have an issue.

A few browsers new browsers are also colour managed like Firefox 3 which was released today (although it's disabled by default). Leaving things in sRGB of course eliminates the problem as you can never be sure what browser your viewers are using.

Thanks, I've changed my lightroom settings to always output to sRGB now. :mrgreen:

Awesome photo, by the way. Do you use Photomatix?

Thanks. :mrgreen: I used lightroom to create the 3 exposures from 1 raw file (+2 -2), then photomatix for the HDR/tone mapping.

Most reactions

Back