Budget Minded Lens Ideas For Wifes X-Mas?

J.Griff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a Nikon 3100 w/kit lens as a gift for my wife last year.At first she wasn't fond of the thing having only used point & shoots.Now she loves the little Nikon.With Santa fastly approaching I have been looking into better glass for the 3100.While I would love to drop 2K on a lens,truth is I simply cannot.(2 kids,braces,etc.) T.M.I. I know.I tend to use 50 words when 5 will do.Sorry, lol.The lens in question is the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8. I need advice on the pros/cons of this lens.It seems to be respectful stat wise.The price is great.$200..I have a budget of $600.My thinking was the 35mm lens,a camera bag,tripod & lightroom 5 but am open to suggestions.I openly admit I'm still a newbie to this & need all the help I can get.I have no problem blowing the whole load a lens (prime,zoom,tele)..I just want the most bang for the buck.This is where I can use yalls help..

Thanks,
Jay

I purchased a Nikon 3100 w/kit lens as a gift for my wife last year.At first she wasn't fond of the thing having only used point & shoots.Now she loves the little Nikon.With Santa fastly approaching I have been looking into better glass for the 3100.While I would love to drop 2K on a lens,truth is I simply cannot.(2 kids,braces,etc.) T.M.I. I know.I tend to use 50 words when 5 will do.Sorry, lol.The lens in question is the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8. I need advice on the pros/cons of this lens.It seems to be respectful stat wise.The price is great.$200..I have a budget of $600.My thinking was the 35mm lens,a camera bag,tripod & lightroom 5 but am open to suggestions.I openly admit I'm still a newbie to this & need all the help I can get.I have no problem blowing the whole load a lens (prime,zoom,tele)..I just want the most bang for the buck.This is where I can use yalls help..

Thanks,
Jay

Ok, well I guess the first question would be what sort of pictures does your wife usually take?

Getting her a 35mm prime, while she's been dreaming of an 85mm prime would probably be a waste of money. Does your wife actually have interest in photography besides loving her D3100 to pieces? If so, she probably already has a lens or two (or five) in mind. Otherwise I doubt she cares about another lens at all. Lenses are a personal thing. Not everyone need every lens out there. It's about what she wants so find out what she wants before you spend the money.

Why not take her out for a romantic dinner, then tell her your desire to get her the 'perfect lens'. Then head to the camera store and let her pick it out.

Thanks for the quick replies! The only lens she's ever used is the kit lens,18-55 I think,that came with the camera. She shoots indoors,outdoors,close ups,ballgames etc. She never leaves the house without her camera & always comes home with at least a few shots.
If I get her a prime lens this year,then I'll get a better zoom lens next year. Or vice versa. Just looking a lens that does one thing great & does so within my budget. What ever type lens she gets it will make her happy. Just looking for ideas.

The 35mm 1.8G is better for all-around shooting, especially indoors. However, the 50mm 1.8G serves as a better portrait lens and gets a little bit more reach.

I would go with the 35mm 1.8G since it's better all around. In addition, the 85mm 1.8G will serve a better purpose in the future and/or a more telephoto oriented zoom lens. A 50mm purchase as a first lens makes any future prime lens purchases (on DX) in a normal range a little bit redundant with the 50mm.

Sounds like a great present. Lightroom 5 and a tripod are definitely good tools to have. On the Lens the problem is that it is hard to know what someone wants without asking. The 35 prime is better than the zoom in some ways but not as convenient. She may want just to use zooms. Another option would be a dedicated ttl flash unit. There are loads available from Nikon or third party makers and flash photography is a sure fire way to get more creative and increase the flexibility of camera and existing lenses

Why not take her out for a romantic dinner, then tell her your desire to get her the 'perfect lens'. Then head to the camera store and let her pick it out.

I bet he'll get a little something-something for doing this... if ya know what I mean.

I agree with my wise friends here, best is ask your wife what lens she would like.
My tactic when buying a present is always plan ahead.
As an example I asked my son what he likes right after his birthday, 2 weeks later I bought his birthday gift for next year, so I have his present all ready to go a year in advance.
Well I guess I did take this a bit extreme but I think if you ask enough time before Christmas your wife will not suspect you are planing this as a gift and just making conversation.
You see I dont like the 35mm 1.8G, never liked this lens, I tried it and the 50mm 1.8G (both cost exact same) and I found the 50mm is just perfect for me.
Its a much better portrait lens and I like it for all around everyday use.
I am sure your wife will be happy with the 35mm but she might like the 50mm 1.8G even better, there is a good reason the 50mm lens is called the Nifty Fifty.
I think you will find more 50mm lens owners then 35mm but thats just my impression.

I just wanted to add I think your wife is a very lucky lady to have such a loving husband, not enough people appreciate their spouses and take them for granted.
I have been married for a while and I promissed myself never to take my wife for granted and I think I have been good on this promiss, my wife is the love of my life :heart:

Thanks for the quick replies! The only lens she's ever used is the kit lens,18-55 I think,that came with the camera. She shoots indoors,outdoors,close ups,ballgames etc. She never leaves the house without her camera & always comes home with at least a few shots.
If I get her a prime lens this year,then I'll get a better zoom lens next year. Or vice versa. Just looking a lens that does one thing great & does so within my budget. What ever type lens she gets it will make her happy. Just looking for ideas.

I'm going to go against everybody here... It's a fricken surprise!!! you people don't get x-mas at all :)

Also... you said three things:
She shoots indoors,outdoors,close ups,ballgames etc.
2 kids,braces,etc.
The only lens she's ever used is the kit lens,18-55.

I would recommend getting her a refurbished Nikon 70-300VR for shooting the little rugrats at play.

First.. the 70-300VR is a FX lens that will grow with your wife's hobby. Its a semi-pro well built lens with amazingly fast AF.

Second.. you can pick one up for $350 refurbished (vs. $590 new). If you buy from a dealer like Cameta, B&H or Adorama you'll know the lens was refurbished by Nikon and will be in great shape (if you buy from Cameta you'll also get a longer warranty).

Third.. It will complement her existing lens and give her a range she currently doesn't have.

Forth.. A good tripod is expensive and will she use it? I would never buy a bag for a woman! It would be like picking shoes out for her... (*shudder*). Unless she shows you a bag that she wants you'll pick the wrong one.

I vote Nikon 70-300VR as a surprise!

I was actually going to suggest the 35/50mm 1.8 and the 70-700mm. I bought mine for $310 shipped from KEH, besides not having a box, I'd no have no idea it wasn't brand new.

I think Lightroom 5 would be a sweet piece of software for her to have....REALLY useful!

Lenses...yeah,some good suggestions. 35/1.8 G or 50/1.8 G would be good. Same with the 70-300 VR lens, bought refurbished for $349 or so. Cameta and Roberts sells a lot of Nikon refurb gear, as does the new Nikon USA website.

I totally agree that the LR5 is a great present for her. If she has the 18-55mm now, and is shooting kids sports, I would have to agree with the 70-300 VR. It would surprise her and give her more zoom than she currently has. Then later that day, you can talk to her about what other lenses she fills would help her or that she would like. (For later use as presents).

I agree with the 70-300mm choice. BTW, that kit lens she already has is a very sharp zoom lens for the price. Some say it belongs in the top 10 consumer level lens lineup of all time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back