Bugs and such?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In order to take pictures of bugs and such, I assume with your macro lens. What distance do you stand away from the subject? Do you use a tripod or no? (Id imagine it is a little difficult to keep it still without one.)

Mark

If you are shooting macro at 1:1 you are 8 - 12 inches from the subject at 100mm....

tripods are good if ur shootings slugs..... most often your subjects won't be generous with your set up time for a tripod so a mono can be very helpful...

when I shoot insects I usually have my macro set at 1:2 so I can get in for a quick shot.... then if the subject sticks around i'll go to 1:1 for the money...

I can only shoot at 1:2 at 300mm with my setup and I'm usually about 3-4 feet away from my subject. I use all handheld but use a flash which stops any blur/motion from being handheld. My tripod should be here next week and then I'll try setting it up in a general area and wait for bugs.

Use the pop-up flash or an external flash?

Mark

external off camera is the best..... or ringflash.... but use whatever you got....

at 1:1 with shallow DOF you will need at least a monopod for accuracy.... simply holding the camera and breathing will move you in and out of focus so flash won't help this.... a tripod is really the best but then you have to take Nates approach which is basically set it up and wait for them to come to you...

I'll walk the woods with my camera on my neck strap and monopod extended like a walking stick.... when I see a subject I lock the cam on the pod and shoot 1:2 and work it closer if the subject allows...

In my opinion, natural light is best (if you're indoors, use window light), you should often be using a tripod anyway so you shouldn't need more light. I have a monopod but I prefer to use a tripod with macro.

Most reactions

Back