Built in flash vs trigger

hulk2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've using d800 on cam flash as trigger set in commander mode controlling my SB910 in remote mode. I'm wondering what benefit would be using a on cam trigger rather then built in cam flash which doesn't contribute to the exposure at all. Any idea?

The only real advantage that the radio triggers will give you is a bit more reliability in bright sunlight,or if the flash is not within the line of site of the camera.
In all honesty though,the Nikon system is very reliable and probably better than advertised,especially the SB-800,900,and 910.
If you aren't running into situations where the flash won't fire,you probably don't need triggers.

Pocket Wizards allow more flexibility, range, and consistency,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF they aren't TTL triggers, you might be losing a bit of function.

Nikon's CLS is an optical communication system that uses infrared light (IR).
Range is limited by the low power of the built-in flash unit to some 10's of feet but can be extended somewhat by using a SU-800 instead.
Line-of-sight is usually required because of the high frequency of the IR signal. (The lower the frequency, the more a signal can 'bend' around objects)
More than 1/2 the light energy from the Sun is IR light so CLS outside can be overwhelmed making range even more limited and in direct sunlight may not work at all.

Radio triggers deliver a much stronger signal at a much lower frequency so their signal can penetrate walls, go around corners, and provide range of a couple of hundred feet
The IR light from the Sun has no effect on the radio signal so range and performance is not diminished by direct sunlight.

Radio triggers are 3rd party devices and for TTL use the communications protocols have to be reverse engineered.

Last edited:
Nikon's CLS is an optical communication system that uses infrared light (IR).
Range is limited by the low power of the built-in flash unit to some 10's of feet but can be extended somewhat by using a SU-800 instead.
Line-of-sight is usually required because of the high frequency of the IR signal. (The lower the frequency, the more a signal can 'bend' around objects)
More than 1/2 the light energy from the Sun is IR light so CLS outside can be overwhelmed making range even more limited and in direct sunlight may not work at all.

Radio triggers deliver a much stronger signal at a much lower frequency so their signal can penetrate walls, go around corners, and provide range of a couple of hundred feet
The IR light from the Sun has no effect on the radio signal so range and performance is not diminished by direct sunlight.

Radio triggers are 3rd party devices and for TTL use the communications protocols have to be reverse engineered.

But d800 doesn't have IR built in though..

The benefit to what you already have is you already have it. The benefit to a good radio trigger, like PocketWizard, is it blows away the built-in commander in distance, reliability and speed of operation. And you can even expand into studio strobes with the same PocketWizards. I bought PocketWizards because I didn't want lighting to be something I had to think about too much. PWs enable me to accomplish lighting quickly and focus more on the creative aspects of the shoot rather than having to worry about menus, settings and reliability.

So how come my IR wireless trigger doesn't work then?

Because the D800 doesn't actually have an IR reciever -- contrary to unpopular belief.

Pretty sure you need something like the WR-10 just to get IR triggering to the D800, and many other Nikon bodies.

Much cheaper/easier ways of doing it through the radio flash triggers.

The "compatible with" list of the Nikon ML-L3 doesn't even show the D800, because, like mentioned, it doesn't have an IR receiver.

Here it is from God's own mouth:

Sorry, but the D800 and D800E won't work with the superb pocket-sized $15 ML-L3 wireless cable release, as the cheaper cameras can. Since Nikon knows you're a big spender with the D800 and D800E, you'll have to buy the clumsy $200 ML-3 wireless release system instead to do the same thing! - Ken Rockwell

An IR receiver for a remote would be a separate function from the IR signalling the D800 built-in flash unit transmits for CLS and flash unit control.

An IR receiver for a remote would be a separate function from the IR signalling the D800 built-in flash unit transmits for CLS and flash unit control.

correct. I didn't think that was the discussion at hand, since the OP said he already uses his built in flash for CLS.

Most reactions

Back