Bulb Photography Problems

PatDanz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right then.

Been experimenting with the 'bulb' setting on my Nikon D60 with some traffic light trails where I live, before embarking on a journey to a more suitable venue with a better subject matter : some good views overlooking the M25 near where I live !

Problem I'm having is the flash keeps firing - and if I don't set it to on the shutter won't release - how do I get round this - set to manual focus ??

As you can see by the trial shots the pics are coming out overexposed, but any more general critique would be appreciated - i've tried adjusting the white balance with differing results...

Also will this effect still work with no flash ?

Thanks !:mrgreen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31993273@N03/

I'm stumped. What camera are you using (and what mode are you shooting in)?

I didn't think bulb was available on the auto modes, and on the manual modes you shouldn't be having this problem.

I don't know the D60 per se, but it sounds like you're in Auto shooting mode if the flash is popping up. If you're wanting to shoot long exposure traffic on the M25, then change your shooting mode to Manual (best) or Tv (shutter priority). Either one will prevent the built-in flash from automatically popping up and firing.

I am also guessing that some of the presets of time exposure may suit your desired effect. Up to 30 seconds can render astonishing results. Make sure you use a tripod or have a suitably stable perch.

Did you know that Chris Rea wrote the song [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBw_da7BZk"]Road to Hell [/ame]while sitting on the largest orbital car park in the world?

Hmmm... the camera is set to manual mode, though the lens is in autofocus setting: flash is not popping up but screen is prompting 'poor lighting conditions; flash recommended' and shutter won't release until i turn it on.

A fault with the camera ?

Autofocus shouldn't matter, doesn't have anything to do with the flash.

What happens if you use manual focus? Could it be that the camera is unable to autofocus? That would prevent you from firing when in manual exposure/autofocus mode, and it can easily happen in low light conditions.

Best,
Helen

Focus seems to lock on in auto focus mode (without need for focussing light) but won't release shutter unless I pop the flash up, despite focus being obtained. Sometimes admittedly it does have trouble focussing if the light is low.

Soon as I flick it over to manual focus, the shutter will always release !

Gonna have another play around with it first and maybe email Nikon...

Thanks for the responses so far !

Whoops. Looks like you're right Helen B. Think it was not focussing originally. Have enabled the focus assist light to do it's work but ensured flash is disengaged and it seems to be working like magic now ! Thx !

Out of interest, found nIKON afs 55-200MM LENS ON EBAY - £99. sEEMS CHEAP. lACKS vr BUT FOR LIGHT TRAILS AND MACRO WORK USING A TRIPOD SEEMS A GOOD LENS AND PRICE ??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back