What's new

Busy Day at the Jackrabbit Ranch

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
10,417
Reaction score
9
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
780-c0724w.jpg


Notes:

Use blustery/rainy weather, and lighting in exceptionally busy/off-centered composition to use every last pixel. Work fast to affect tree branches with fast moving clouds (make stuff touch).
 
I like this a lot, the colour and processing really makes an impact....the tips of those dead branches would have been nice to include, just a nitpick :D.
 
---------
 
Last edited:
Very powerful image i'm loving it! :)
 
I agree with everyone else. Great image! However, it looks a bit too centered for me, and I would love to see more of that dramatic sky fill the top part of the frame. Maybe even a wider angle than this would be suitable. Just my 2 cents. ;)

NJ
 
Thanks everyone.
 
This is a very newbie remark (but I'm trying to learn what I like in order to replicate, and this helps me :) ), but I like the wide angle... distortion? (whatever you call it where vertical straight lines aren't straight in wide-angle shots) to the sky and ground. It makes them very vast-looking. As always your post-processing work is great, as you've really gotten every last drop of saturation and detail from the photo without it feeling processed.

Thanks again for sharing your great work. Please tell me this isn't where you stay when you go out to the desert for monsoon season. :)
 
This is a very newbie remark (but I'm trying to learn what I like in order to replicate, and this helps me :) ), but I like the wide angle... distortion? (whatever you call it where vertical straight lines aren't straight in wide-angle shots) to the sky and ground. It makes them very vast-looking. As always your post-processing work is great, as you've really gotten every last drop of saturation and detail from the photo without it feeling processed.

Thanks again for sharing your great work. Please tell me this isn't where you stay when you go out to the desert for monsoon season. :)

Thanks. I have to admit, and this is what I like about posting from my own personal standpoint, that it seems as soon as I stick something up to share, I see all kinds of mess ups. This one, I'm very happy with everything except for the ~skritch~ of the clouds on the right side.

Unfortunately, in my chunk of the desert we have no monsoons- at best we get a storm or two in August. We're under a different weather pattern than Arizona. We suffer for the rain shadows of the Sierra Nevada and the Transverse Ranges (running east-west, north of the Southern California Basins). Our winters tend to get a bit more moisture I believe than the Sonoran though, often with snow, and occasionally up to two feet of it.

I just got back from a trip up to my friend's ranch about 60 miles from here out in the hardcore desert. It was 112 up there today. He has a nice natural hot springs feeding into a couple concrete pools where I like to get a good soak. Other than a quickie barbeque and trying to get some decent sunset shots, I spent the afternoon and early evening (about 4 hours) in the tanks. After sunset I watched the bats bombard the water and nighthawks hunt the bats. I love the way the desert comes alive after dark. Walking the 300-400 yards back to the cabin, there was a bzillion stars in the sky. It was so quiet. I got back and the ladies were packed and ready to go home. I felt fine, but they weren't ready to spend the night in what the thermometer said was 100. There was only one fan :)

But anyhow- I have a nice little camper shell on my truck when I do go out and the rain starts acting up.
 
This is the stuff awards are received for!

Rock'n Image!
 
once I am breathless.....the colors, and post processing is amazing....
 
once I am breathless.....the colors, and post processing is amazing....

I see this stuff and I wonder, at least like to think that this is what I'm supposed to do. And if it isn't, what a way to screw around!

:)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom