But, which photo to print?

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
Just having a bit of trouble deciding which photo will fit a giclee print best, so please post your thoughts in the comments I'd be interested to hear them.
Here's the first, I like the simplicity of this image and the warm feeling of it.This was shot with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 with my D90 on a tripod.

9731872174_0676dd08df_k.jpg

So here's the second image, shot with a Tokina 12-24 f/4 with the D90 also with a tripod. I like the sharpness of this image which is why I think it would look good once blown up big. However it's a busy image with no obvious main subject.
9458723799_3a2756bcd2_k.jpg

The second one has far more visual pop. The first seems almost flat, the greens are almost greyish looking.

I think the second is a much better picture, too, quite apart from the color/pop issues -- I have to disagree with you on the first one!

The made up word 'gicleé' has really gone out of favor.
A gicleé is just an inkjet print.

The term mostly used today is 'fine art print'.

I agree that #2 is the better candidate for printing.
Not only because of the more vibrant colors, but also because of the less than standard camera perspective.

Both images could benefit by close attention to preparing either image for printing.

If you don't already have them, I highly recommend:
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

9731872174_0676dd08df_k1.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd rather print the first one... but only after cropping off the right 80% of the image leaving the extreme vertical format falls and reflection. Maybe a 3:1 aspect ratio? Print it 20 x 60 or some such. If you can find enough resolution remaining after cropping that is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back