Butterflies are Free

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I decided to get out for a morning outing as I didn't have to be at work till 10pm. The weather was bright, bright sunshine with not a cloud in sight, and a steady 10 mph or so wind. Decided to visit a local state park, work the lakes and trails. I packed a white umbrella to help with the harsh, direct sunlight for close ups and any macro florals I come across.

I forgot my glass chain so that my glasses would just hang around my neck when I'm not wearing them. So I just hung them in my tee shirt collar. Well, some where along the beaten path, I lost my glasses! Now I was in deep, deep trouble. I can't see without them, and certainly can't drive without them. So I started to retrace my steps on my hands and knees. I must have looked like some nut case crawling along while trying to avoid all the duck poop! About a 1/2 hour later, when I thought all was lost, I stopped for a moment to figure out what excuse I would fabricate to tell my wife, and when I looked down next to me there was my glasses.

That's the good part of the trip. The bad part was that the state park due to budget cut backs, didn't plant any summer flowers, and the paths were over grown, and tough to navigate. After another hour I just gave up and headed on home. On the way back home, I decided since I was so close, to checkout Sweetbriar nature preserve as I hadn't been there for a month or so. Thought I'd check out the Butterfly house that I've seen earlier this year, but it doesn't open up till mid June. Well, the enclosed house was loaded with Butterflies and helpful attendants to answer my million of questions. I decided to setup with a tripod, and a 27mm tube on my 55-200mm lens, after I made sure that I could use a tripod in there.

What I learned after PP editing, that while Butterflies aren't like Birds, they're not like flowers either. The do fly off and flap their wings quite often. DOF is an issue but so is one's shutter speed. Somethign I'm not use to being concerned with.

Here's the 1st of a few sets. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.

Butterflies61512 224 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

Butterflies61512 178 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

Butterflies61512 136 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

Butterflies61512 106 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

Butterflies61512 062 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

Butterflies61512 041 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

really nice, I particularly enjoyed the first one. Thanks for sharing!

Very beautiful Joel!
Glad you didn't have to come up with a excuse for your wife!

I'm hoping to get my d90 soon it a big step of me

you fail before sucsess

Your photos are beatiful Joel! I especially like the fourth one.

Simvai, thanks so much for your kind words.

And Sam7771, sure hope you get it ASAP. I upgraded from a D70S, which I loved, but the D90 is a whole new ballgame.

Wonderful Joel! Zomg there are flowers but they aren't the main subject :) Great to see!
I'm having a hard time picking a fav. I'm torn between 3-6 lol I really like 3, great angle and light on the butterfly's face, 4 I love them side by side and the symmetry, the tall pant on the right adds a wonderful element to the composition. Nice DOF on 5 and 6 is gorgeous although the hilight in the flower is a bit too bright and draws my eye, the butterfly is wonderful though :)

They are definitely flighty creatures to capture, rarely do they stay still when it is warm, early morning when it is cooler they tend to be slower moving and stay put longer (but not much lol) You handled the situation well :) DOF will always be a challenge unless they are flat to you, any angle and you are usually "compromising" one end or the other.

Great job both on the butterflies and tracking down your glasses, I woulda paid to see you crawling around looking for them ;) lol

Judi, thanks for the great comments and CC's. I always look forward to your insight, observations, and thoughts. I really had a great time going one on one with those Butterflies. I already have a deep infinity towards them after just one trip. The sad part is that they're only around from June through October. Found another Butterfly haven, but that's a different story/thread.

I'm sure you would have paid for the video of me crawling around half blind, and half out of terror having to explain to my wife why I lost a pair of $350 glasses taking pictures just because I don't like how I look with them on a chain around my neck. The good news is that I'm do for new ones anyway, but somehow I don't think that would have appeased her. You wives are sure tough to get anything by.

Last edited:
Borisnikon, thanks so much for stopping by, and your most positive comments.

Nice images Joel, some of the best butterflies I have seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing. I like the "twins" in the fourth one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back