Butterfly

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
A Butterfly shot taken at Castlewood State Park

Unknown butterfly. (Searched couple hours on the net, still could not identify this butterfly)

3592499249_0cac6a95cd_o.jpg

Photo data:
50mm manual (F/5.6 1/160) Flash on (with A better bounce card, flash tilted 45 degree on camera)
Taken with Canon 40D and Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8

Last edited:
Nice composition and focus. I like the shot a lot. Maybe it's a moth??? I have no idea.

So......my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 doesn't get nearly that close (or I didn't think it did). Was this a really big moth or does the Tamron 17-50 actually focus that close?

Sweet picture by the way. I love the detail in his eyes.

RMH - It's a butterfly....from what I was told, Moth's don't have antennae and butterflies do.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I did not know the Tamron can focus that close until I tried it on that day.

I believe it is a butterfly. Since the antennae of a butterfly has a knob at the end.

Great shot and focus on this.

it doesn't look like a butterfly. the body is too big. but nevertheless it is a Great shot! the "butterfly" is like winking at me. hehee.. . ;)

I directed darling daughter to this thread as she knows of these matters. Here is what she wrote:

" .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana } Ok, here is a lesson in butterfly versus moth... Butterflies have string-like antenna which may or may not have a "bump" on the end. Moth antenna are feathery (look like the old tv antennas on the side of houses). Butterflies tend to have slim-shaped bodies, moths are more round. Both can be fuzzy, but moths tend to be more fuzzy typically. Butterflies have a proboscis (tongue) moths do not (99% of the time).

The photo is definately a butterfly. Species I can't say for sure. Reminds me of a Common Mime, but I don't think that is it."

Ron (and your daughter as well) Thank you very much for the information! Learn new things everyday!

I still trying to identify this butterfly. I may post it in a butterfly forum and see. :)

Search after search .. I think this butterfly is "Hackberry Butterfly"

For those who would like to know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back