Buy a new lens or Speedlight?

c_pass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm ready to make my next equipment purchase, but I am debating on what to purchase, a new lens or to purchase a speedlight?

I still consider myself a beginner in the world of photography and would be curious to what the experienced photographers would recommend.

I'm looking at these:

Tamron 28-75 2.8 for Nikon (This would replace my kit lens)
Amazon.com: Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) with Built-In AF Motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

AND

Nikon SB-700
Amazon.com: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Thanks for any help!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In which area you feel like your current setup limit you from getting the result you want?

This is the question you need to answer in order to find out what to get next.

+1 ^
It looks like you are covered lens wise for where you are at.
For me I only bought/buy new equipment when I reach a point that something is limiting me and some new equipment is actually required.

Dao said:
In which area you feel like your current setup limit you from getting the result you want?

X2. Do you shoot indoors ? Outdoors? Lighting conditions? I'd go with the lens personally but I have enough( you can't ever have too many) flashes lol. If you need light, then the flash might be better. I would look at something stronger though. You can find some sb900's used for about $350- $400. I haven't looked in a while. The last time I did, I saw some in that range.

+1 ^
It looks like you are covered lens wise for where you are at.
For me I only bought/buy new equipment when I reach a point that something is limiting me and some new equipment is actually required.

My current setup doesn't allow me to get good shots indoors at like a family function or such event...
I like to take candid shots of people, my kit lens allows me the range I like, but it doesn't not the light, I can use my 35mm, but thats not to great for candid...

So i'm thinking to get a speedlight to help with the kit lens indoors or replace the kit lens all together...

Dao said:

X2. Do you shoot indoors ? Outdoors? Lighting conditions? I'd go with the lens personally but I have enough( you can't ever have too many) flashes lol. If you need light, then the flash might be better. I would look at something stronger though. You can find some sb900's used for about $350- $400. I haven't looked in a while. The last time I did, I saw some in that range.

I shot outdoors mainly, I've tried indoors and I'm not happy with the results... So i'm thinking to get a speedlight to help with the kit lens indoors or replace the kit lens all together...

c_pass said:
My current setup doesn't allow me to get good shots indoors at like a family function or such event...
I like to take candid shots of people, my kit lens allows me the range I like, but it doesn't not the light, I can use my 35mm, but thats not to great for candid...

So i'm thinking to get a speedlight to help with the kit lens indoors or replace the kit lens all together...

Speedlight.

I think you may have answered your own question. Maybe also pick up a 50 1.8 they don't cost much and in a bright house may allow you to take some shots without flash, get the new G version if you can find one.

The Tamron you mentioned isn't really sharp until F4 so you don't gain much for indoors over the kit lens, I have that Tamron.

c_pass said:

Speedlight.

I think you may have answered your own question. Maybe also pick up a 50 1.8 they don't cost much and in a bright house may allow you to take some shots without flash, get the new G version if you can find one.

The Tamron you mentioned isn't really sharp until F4 so you don't gain much for indoors over the kit lens, I have that Tamron.

Thanks to the both of you!!!

If the indoors function and event locations have a low enough ceiling and walls (light color) to bounce the flash, I will get the flash first.

Pair that with the kit lens, you are good to go.

I would get the flash, I use it inside and outside!

Speedlight! An f/2.8 lens isn't fast enough for most indoors natural light photography, anyways. The flash will open up your shots like never before.

Most reactions

Back