Buy New? or Craigslist OK?

CourtneyAK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens and found one on Craigslist for $300 locally. I'm a little leary of buying used...is it worth saving the money, or buying new to include a warranty?

I'd say buy that lens used. I own one. As long as it is indeed the VR model, $300 is a good used price on it. It's also quite a good lens optically on 24MP and lower MP count Nikons. Optically, the lens is surprisingly good--a real,significant step up from earlier 70-300mm lenses from Nikon, and streets better than third-party models. I saw one YESTERDAY, in a large photo store, and they wwere asking $445, which I thought was ridiculously overpriced. As I recall, the lens was introduced in 2009...so it cannot be "too old" with such a new premier date. Warranty on Nikkor zooms??? Ehhhh...I dunno...only onece have I needed to have a Nikkor zoom repaired...

Craiglist can be tricky. I say if it's local go and have a look at the lens and see if they will let you test it out on your camera to ensure that it's functioning properly. They could refuse and if that's the case I wouldn't buy it. (obviously haha)

Inspect it before purchase. I would also bring a laptop and shoot a pic of a solid color and go into photoshop and ensure the interior is not filled with dust. This happened to me, once! So I say be carefull and ensure it functions correctly. I have made many purchases on craigslist, but I have to see and test it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back