What's new

Which Camera? (Recommendations)

sabian1982

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 13, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
10 years ago I bought a Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-140mm VR Lens which I originally used for outdoor photography (the lens was great for getting distance shots with blurred background) however the intention was to also use the camera for some studio based videography.

In more recent years I got a AF-S DX 40mm f/2.8G - great for macro photos, especially of small bottle and label photography setup in my home office.

Videography wise, I've used the 18-140 lens for recording studio based product video content - primary white backdrops and minimal shadows. I also have a motorised slider which is great for panning video shots and a white turntable for getting 360 views of product; part of the reason for going with the D5300 originally was due to its 60fps hence making speed ramping (during the editing process) a smooth and useful effect.

The issues with the D5300 however include the limitation of 1080p, whilst the auto focus is not only noisy but also hit and miss, keeping moving elements in focus when needed has always been problematic.

So what would people recommend?

Is it worth looking at a camera that I can use my existing lens with (via an adapter) or is it worth going for a completely new setup?

Budget wise I'm looking for something up to around £800 (around $1,100) whilst I'm also willing to consider second hand rather than brand new (my DX 40mm was bought through CEX second hand and has served me very well).

Suggestions?
 
Your big decision is to go mirrorless or stay with dSLR. Mirrorless is the state of the art these days and if you want to stay with Nikon, their entry camera with a viewfinder is either the Z50 or Z50ii. They are both DX like your d5300 and can be adapted with an FTZ adapter to use your current lenses. The Z50 is an older model and is available used and new, the Z50ii is an updated model with quite significant improvements. Either bodies are within your budget.
Mirrorless Cameras | Nikon USA
 
Your big decision is to go mirrorless or stay with dSLR. Mirrorless is the state of the art these days and if you want to stay with Nikon, their entry camera with a viewfinder is either the Z50 or Z50ii. They are both DX like your d5300 and can be adapted with an FTZ adapter to use your current lenses. The Z50 is an older model and is available used and new, the Z50ii is an updated model with quite significant improvements. Either bodies are within your budget.
Mirrorless Cameras | Nikon USA
Prior to your reply the Z50ii with the FTZ adapter had quickly landed at the top of my list (in part due to wanting 4k and 60fps).

I think my only concern is whether the liveview video autofocus in/out issue on the D5300 still persists on the Z50ii with the same F- lens. I believe (but might be wrong) that going the Z50ii mirrorless route will resolve a lot of that, there will be some marginal focus in this recording mode but its a vast difference and improvement vs the D5300. I'm guessing if it's still not quite good enough, i could just go the z- lens route at a later date which (I believe) have fully smooth autofocus in liveview and would ultimately completely overcome the issues i'm trying to escape when using the D5300 for video.
 
Prior to your reply the Z50ii with the FTZ adapter had quickly landed at the top of my list (in part due to wanting 4k and 60fps).

I think my only concern is whether the liveview video autofocus in/out issue on the D5300 still persists on the Z50ii with the same F- lens. I believe (but might be wrong) that going the Z50ii mirrorless route will resolve a lot of that, there will be some marginal focus in this recording mode but its a vast difference and improvement vs the D5300. I'm guessing if it's still not quite good enough, i could just go the z- lens route at a later date which (I believe) have fully smooth autofocus in liveview and would ultimately completely overcome the issues i'm trying to escape when using the D5300 for video.
I've owned a Z50 and a Z5. I can tell you from experience that the live view on any Z camera, other than maybe the d780, is head and shoulders better than most any dSLR.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom