Buying a Computer Monitor

dcmoody23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I post in beginner's forum because A.)this is applicable to beginners, B.) I'm a beginner, and C.) the rest of TPF is kind of ... dead.

Anyways --
I need new a computer monitor and can't seem to make up my mind about which is the best choice. My budget is $400, but I want something that'll be able to print with identical/almost identical color. (see smugmug to see how awful my color is -- and yes, those will all be taken down when my monitor comes :p) I want something crisp and clean. I honestly don't care about the glossy screen or anything like that, glare doesn't bother me - I work it basically like a dungeon. :p little light.
What I'm looking at is:
HP 2509 25'' full HD lcd
HP 2710 27" full HD lcd
Viewsonic-VX2450WM-LED-23-6-Inch full HD 1080p
And I also have the Samsung2333SW 23 inch widescreen HD 1080p on my list, but it's because I can get an amazing deal on one.
I would love a 27", but anything above 24 is good.

Ooh and my dad works in the military if anyone knows of any good deals I can get through that.
Thanks.

It looks like your just looking at TV resolution, The resolution is no where near that of a good computer monitor.

A full HD TV has the resolution of 1920 x 1080
The Dell 30 inch 3007WFP has a resolution of 2560 x 1600
and apple has a 27" widescreen monitor at 2560 x 1440

If you want to see your images as crisp as you can do not use a TV.

edit: in the $400 price range 1080p is what you will get

Last edited:
...I want something that'll be able to print with identical/almost identical color.... Thanks.
Then you also need to profile whichever monitor you get, using a colorimeter if you have a lab do your prints X-Rite i1Display 2 Colorimeter Monitor Profile Solution EODIS2 -
or a spectrophotometer if you do your own printing. X-Rite ColorMunki Photo Color Management Solution CMUNPH - B&H
With those and the ICC profiles from the print lab, you can then soft proof in Photoshop.

You will find the best color reproducibility is with IPS panel monitors rather than the typical TN flat screens. You might look at the Dell 22009WA (It was about $300 last time I looked).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back