buying a "new condition" used Canon 17-55 f/2.8 OR a "good" condition used.

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
'm debating buying a used Canon 17-55 f/2.8 lens.

There are two for sale near me, one is used and stated in "excellent" condition for $400 with a lens hood (no pics). One is stated in new/never used condition for $525 (no lens hood) but the pics are of it with the box, fresh paper work and with plastic packaging bag thing removed.

If the "new" lens is truly unused/unabused then I would definitely get it. Another part of me feels like, without a warranty I should just get the cheaper of the two since nothing is a guarantee.

What do others think?

I usually go for the best condition I can afford, but here it seems as if you might be paying $125 for the box.

Call the seller of the "excellent" lens. He might have the box. Ask about scratches in the coating, fog, mildew, etc. Probably nothing untoward, but ask anyway.

I'd look at the cheaper one first and if it passes your inspection and works well save yourself some money.

I usually go for the best condition I can afford, but here it seems as if you might be paying $125 for the box.

Call the seller of the "excellent" lens. He might have the box. Ask about scratches in the coating, fog, mildew, etc. Probably nothing untoward, but ask anyway.

Good point. So I texted him (the cheaper one) and he says it has some dust specs and slightly scratched lens hood, relatively minor, he's upgrading to full frame... which tells me he is actually into photography, not just someone who bought it and used it a little, although maybe that doesn't mean much.

Do you need a canon one?

Many swear by the sigma 17-50. It's half price new with most of the performance?

.. which tells me he is actually into photography, not just someone who bought it and used it a little, although maybe that doesn't mean much.
I'd worry more about a lens having been dropped, although an enthusiast can drop lenses just as well as a pawn shop. At least the enthusiast (if he's honest) will know the potential problems with a lens that's been dropped. And the history of the care that it has had. A few interior dust specks should not have a significant effect on the image quality. If it was full of dust it might have less contrast.

I've done very well buying mint condition used lenses on line. I have some that are indistinguishable from brand new. Go with the cheaper one.

If it's local seems you can pick it up. If that's the case the less expensive one would be my first try. Of course taking a camera along and testing the lens. 20% is quite a bit to pay to have a nicer "looking" lens.

Most reactions

Back