Buying a Nikon D90 tonight! Question?

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am buying the Nikon D90 tonight at Costco. I am simply buying there because if it doesn't work out I can take it back within 90 days.

It comes with the 18-105mm DX VR Lens.

My question is for anyone in the know or who has the D90 with this lens. The size of the lens is perfect, but I am concerned about the quality of this lens. Is it going to be sufficent for someone looking to make clean, clean, clean, crisp, some-what wide-angle shots in low light? Or am I going to need to get something better?

just get your d90 and experiment for a bit.... no rush...you've got good focal range there to play with....

a word of warning about the d90 though..... if you wait another year the d90x will be released..

just get your d90 and experiment for a bit.... no rush...you've got good focal range there to play with....

a word of warning about the d90 though..... if you wait another year the d90x will be released..

I don't have time, I am going to be taking wedding pics here soon.. Also I am shooting some real estate shots here soon too.

I don't have time, I am going to be taking wedding pics here soon.. Also I am shooting some real estate shots here soon too.

yea.... i was kinda joking on waiting...

if you don't have time to experiment with the kit lens to find what you need than just purchase the nikor 12-24 f4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f2.8 and be done with it...

that way you have your low light shooting lenses for wedding and a nice wide one for your real estate.... all super crisp...

I am buying the Nikon D90 tonight at Costco. I am simply buying there because if it doesn't work out I can take it back within 90 days.

It comes with the 18-105mm DX VR Lens.

My question is for anyone in the know or who has the D90 with this lens. The size of the lens is perfect, but I am concerned about the quality of this lens. Is it going to be sufficent for someone looking to make clean, clean, clean, crisp, some-what wide-angle shots in low light? Or am I going to need to get something better?

You can get a D90 at Costco? Where do you live? It's not available in Toronto. I just bought one on ebay, with a wide angle and zoom lens, 16 GB SDHC card, flash, backpack, .45 converter, 2x converter, table tripod and full length tripod, aluminuin case, UV and polarising filter, all for the cost of a D90 body with one lens here in Toronto

Jerry

That lens will probably have decent quality shots, but the problem is its maximum aperture. Now, i'm no wedding photographer, but from what i've gathered from reading forums and such, if you're shooting a wedding, possibly with poor lighting, you want the biggest aperture possible. In my opinion, f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens) will have limitations that you don't want for wedding shots.

Umm no by the body alone the lens is pretty crap. The 18-55mm lens you can get for $100 is far better. Then spend another $100 on one of the older 70-210mm lenses from ebay and you will be far better off. Read this by Ken Rockwell

.45 converter, 2x converter, table tripod
Jerry

Why do they sell those converters with DSLR's?? I got got a couple for my P&S, more for the wide lens. Firstly, the tele is just plain ****. No other word to discribe it. And from where I stand you are not going to have a good wide zoom lens and then screw that piece of shyt on the end, they are useless on an SLR. And that small tripod will struggle to stay balanced with that camera. But anyway, you got a good deal which is the main thing.

then you must already have better lenses than this one I should hope?

Why do they sell those converters with DSLR's?? I got got a couple for my P&S, more for the wide lens. Firstly, the tele is just plain ****. No other word to discribe it. And from where I stand you are not going to have a good wide zoom lens and then screw that piece of shyt on the end, they are useless on an SLR. And that small tripod will struggle to stay balanced with that camera. But anyway, you got a good deal which is the main thing.

Not really tho.. ;)

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1378438&postcount=8

and

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126888

You can get a D90 at Costco?

The Costcos in the USA carry way more stock than ours (though they are all roughly the same physical size).

I almost picked up a GPS Geotager (GPS info stamped into your pics) at a Costco in NY.

wow costco USA must be awesome.. I dont even see d40's in the canada costco... infact, I dont see any good camera stuff.. just P&S

I agree. They just carry some crappy P&S here. Next time I'm down skiing at Holiday Valley ( one hour south of Buffalo, a really beautiful place to ski, if you've been there you know what I mean) I'll try to get in a Costco in BUF.
What I would like is a Direct TV HD PVR, but that's another story ;).
J.

I work at Costco in Florida, We carry some great bundles SLR's. Sometimes we are high, sometimes we are a great value it just depends on the kit. We got the d90 in last thursday in a bundle at my building. It is the body, a 18-55 VR, 55(I think)-200 VR, 2 GB Sd Card, Nikon instruction DVD, and a bag for $1399.99. There may be more in the bundle that I am missing, I haven't really examined it. Anyway, the great thing about buying from Costco is that you get a 90 day return policy to the store FOR ANY REASON... This is much better than most places 14 day policy and restocking fees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back