Buying a tripod tomorrow

R6_Dude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Samy's camera gift card ($50) so I am going to buy a tripod kit tomorrow. I want to buy one that is under $150.

I mainly shoot cars (panning as well) and landscapes. Not too concerned about weight and want to stick with Manfrotto because I have used a couple of models before, but they are out of my range. Mainly I would like something durable and sturdy. I'm open to other brands if you absolutely think its a better bang for the buck and better value than the Manfrotto.

Suggestions? I'm so excited, I've been waiting to get a tripod for a long time!!!!!!!!!!

After the tripod, I'll be looking for a nice sling bag :thumbup::thumbup:

You know that feeling when you know you are about to get some new toys......I have that feeling now :mrgreen:

just got a manfrotto and i love it best 230 bucks i spent. im not sure if i understood you but are you trying to get one for 150?

If your not worried about weight due to hiking or other things. A heavier tripod is the best option. So obviously an aluminium one will be what your looking for and be less than a carbon one. Not sure what Sammy's carries in store. Just about any brand of a "real" tripod should suit you fine. Just don't get one of those cheap "Walmart" quality ones. Of course the ones with more options like different leg angles, and moveable center columns(vertical or horizontal positions) will have higher price points.

And then there are the choices for heads. Even with a $150 budget your going to be limited. The heads I preffer run about $140 on their own.

But you should be able to find a nice decent basic tripod to start with for $150.

For static cars, get a GorillaPod... super portable and able to get the low perspective. You will need the upgraded one (focus, I think), it is somewhere around $65.

As for a tripod, i have the SILK Master Classic with 3 way Pan head. It is a rock, and weighs about as much. It will hold your T1i without flinching. Doesn't get too low but that is not what I use it for. I paid $139 from ACE's and it came with the free head (I think this promo is over).

p!nK

I recommend Giottos tripods as being a better value than Manfrotto tripods.

What were you planning to get for a tripod head? $150 will get you a decent set of legs.

I think I'm gonna pick this one up tomorrow...

Rocketfish™ - 65" Carbon Fiber Tripod - RF-TRP65C

I also have the same camera as you and shoot cars a lot... I'm choosing this one, because of all the great reviews I've read and it's in my price range @ $150... A lot of the reviews mentioned the great fluid head that it comes with. Apparently it's extremely smooth. So that will come in handy when I'm shooting HD video. It's also made out of Carbon Fiber which is a "cool" factor... :)

Here are some general rules for buying a tripod.

1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable. This will save a lot of back ache.

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range and style you choose. Head preference is a whole nother discussion.

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

a. Whether you will be carrying it long distances or not. Carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.

b. What conditions you will be using it in. For general use or studio use Aluminum works just fine. In harsher conditions Carbon fiber is a better choice since the carbon fiber will not corode as aluminum will if it is imersed in salt water or water with a lot of minerals. (depending on the minerals) If constantly in very wet conditions a good hard wood tripod is the best. Most people do not use them much as they are heavy, and expensive but they are the most stable choice in a tripod and work well in very damp climates.

5. Pick one with leg locks and control locks that you like and feel comfortable with. Manfrotto lever locks are conienient, however Gitzo's no twist legs are very rapid to set up with their twist locks.

6. Pick a price range you can live with. Good tripods will cost a bit of money, but a good tripod, taken care of can last a lifetime. If you buy cheap you will be replacing it and in the long run spend more then you would have if you bought wisely the first time.

Anyone in the market for a tripod should check out this article before buying.

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

The average shooter doesn't have to spend the money that Thom spends. But for a little well spent money and an eye to the future a good tripod can be purchased that you may well never outgrow. $150.00 spent 30 years ago has yielded me a studio tripod with head that to this day can't be beat and continues to preform flawlessly. For less than $300 a good tripod and head can be purchased that will last a lifetime.

I use Manfrotto tripod and head, but one thing that caught my attention when I was talking to the guy at BH. He asked me this, you mena to tell me that your camera and lens cost X and your trusting that on a $100 tripod. What would you do when it tips over or gets bumps and the camera comes crashing down on the lens breaking the mount?

Made me think about it, choose a good set of legs and if you can afford it to start with get the head a little later.

I just bought a Tiffen Magnum XL tripod off Craigslist for $10. That is the best $10 I ever spent.

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I believe a good tripod can be bought for way less than $150.

I've got the Slik U8000, and it has served me well:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=slik+u8000&x=0&y=0]Amazon.com: slik u8000[/ame]

I'm not sure why people feel that a super heavy, super expensive tripod is needed.

Lots of folks here feel that anything costing less than $200 is junk.

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I believe a good tripod can be bought for way less than $150.

I've got the Slik U8000, and it has served me well:
Amazon.com: slik u8000

I'm not sure why people feel that a super heavy, super expensive tripod is needed.

Lots of folks here feel that anything costing less than $200 is junk.

A Yugo and a Cadillac will both get you from point A to Point B. The ride and handling however are completely different. It all depends on what meets your needs.

I put a lot of money into my gear and I take excellent care of it. I do not put some high dollar lens and body on a support that is not rock solid and very stable. Getting rock solid and stable means better quality parts, and better quality construction. It also means that if taken care of it will last a lifetime. Like I said before, I have a studio tripod that it 30 years old that still performs like a champ. It ain't as pretty as a new one, but it is rock solid and extremely stable. Worth ever dollar I paid for it 30 years ago. That's works out to $0.50 a year for a quality piece of equipment that will in all likely hood out last me.

It's kind of like vehicles. I have seen plenty of Yugo's with high dollar tires on them. I have yet to see a Porsche with K-mart tires on it. Wonder why?:D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back