Buying First DSLR

nicko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, im currently using a canon point and shoot camera and ive decided to start looking into DSLRs. I need something thats good for still shots, but i would also like for it to be quick from being powered off, to photo-ready. Those are my only preferences for now. Im looking to spend ~$600 for the body. Im looking for the absolute best that budget can get me, and if going over by 50-$100 meant a better bang for my buck, then thats ok too.
Edit: HDR friendly would be nice too.

Last edited:
Well, you can't have been to impressed with your P&S since you didn't even spell the name correctly.

In your price range you'll be looking at entry level cameras regardless the brand. So check out each web site and look at the start time specs:

Canon
Nikon
Olympus
Pentax
Sony

I put them in alphabetical order, not order of preference.

Well, you can't have been to impressed with your P&S since you didn't even spell the name correctly.

In your price range you'll be looking at entry level cameras regardless the brand. So check out each web site and look at the start time specs:

Canon
Nikon
Olympus
Pentax
Sony

I put them in alphabetical order, not order of preference.

All of the above take great photos and have good lenses. It is just a matter of individual features and minor differences.

Canon or Nikon may have the best low noise specs depending on the model chosen. Sony has the best live view, similar to point and shoot cameras.
Olympus is getting into the 4/3 system which means a smaller DSLR but it will require different lenses. Pentax has good weather seals but the autofocus is not quite as fast or as sensitive as the rest according to some of the reviews in the camera mags.

skieur

I am new to DSLR cameras as well and bought the Canon Rebel XTi, I love it! After watching the DVD that comes in the box I got a real feel for the camera and my pictures are starting to look real good! I think for a first time buyer any DSLR is a little overwhelming with all the features. But I'm glad I went with the rebel, I am happy with it. If you are looking for a rebel there are great deals rebel xti and rebel xsi

for image quality, they are all pretty much the same. Sure there are variation but for an average user, on an average sunny day, IQ is pretty good.
for brands, hold the camera in your hand and see what feels more comfortably.

you can also try this:
Call FocusCamera, B&H, Adorama, tell them exactly what you said here and see what they can offer you. You can price around online but reps will give you better perspective on various concerns you have plus you can ask those "here's another" question.
good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of SLRs :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back